Mississauga Mississauga Transitway | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | IBI Group

Except MT BRT from nowhere to nowhere via Square One (the only place along the route with Transit-Oriented Development and not requiring a parking lot to draw any users) does not equal a shitload of useful subways.

Anyway, a BRT can be built incrementally, something that is harder to do with LRT or especially subways.

Using that logic Maybe Toronto should build a shit load of subways without funding from the Province and Feds too.

No, using that logic Toronto shouldn't say it's "moving ahead with a project" when it isn't. Logically if the city can afford its share of a 3km subway extention split with the feds and the province then it can afford its share of a 2km extention with only the province. The waiting game is just politics. I would prefer the politics of doing everything alone and during federal election campaigns the city could air ads about why every project only reached 2/3rds of its objective.

Using that logic Maybe Toronto should build a shit load of subways without funding from the Province and Feds too.

I think $65 million for a surface road is a little different than a nearly one billion dollar subway line, don't you?

drum GO transit already has parking lots at virtually all its stations. thats how its commuters get there. imagine port credit station without its parking lot.

Well actually, I believe the Vaughn/YorkU extension should be built using the money from the city and the province, and stop about YorkU, until the fed money comes in. The only issue arrise because the city of TO isn't funding fully its 1/3 share, I believe do to sharing this with Vaughn (I believe??). But you still can get a functioning extension with the money already committted.

The municipalities are broke, the province is broke, and the federal government won't pay a cent. What will become of the GTA?

Doady

Well, clearly you either have a problem reading/comprehending or have mistakenly written the wrong things. This is the 2nd time back-to-back that you misinterpreted what I said.

These are the things I said:

Thats what I suggest as well. Except, once the city and provincial money has run out, stop building and clamour about lack of fed money, to put extra pressure on them.

you responded

I responded

Well actually, I believe the Vaughn/YorkU extension should be built using the money from the city and the province, and stop about YorkU, until the fed money comes in. The only issue arrise because the city of TO isn't funding fully its 1/3 share, I believe do to sharing this with Vaughn (I believe??). But you still can get a functioning extension with the money already committted

you responded:

right now and they should have to pay even 1/3 of these costs, let alone 2/3 as you suggest.

You can wonder why I am scratching my head recently whenever you respond to whatever I suggest.

Except MT BRT from nowhere to nowhere via Square One (the only place along the route with Transit-Oriented Development and not requiring a parking lot to draw any users) does not equal a shitload of useful subways.

Anyway, a BRT can be built incrementally, something that is harder to do with LRT or especially subways.

You say BRT can be built incrementally yet at the same time criticize Mississauga's BRT for being built exactly like that?

If subways are more "useful" than BRT, isn't that more reason that should be more willing Toronto should pay for it itself?

Nothing you say make sense.

Well actually, I believe the Vaughn/YorkU extension should be built using the money from the city and the province, and stop about YorkU, until the fed money comes in. The only issue arrise because the city of TO isn't funding fully its 1/3 share, I believe do to sharing this with Vaughn (I believe??). But you still can get a functioning extension with the money already committted.

Before Mike Harris and Paul Martin came along, the Province funded 3/4 of these projects by itself. Cities are much worse off financially right now and they should have to pay even 1/3 of these costs, let alone 2/3 as you suggest.

Remember, there are a lot of things that cities pay for all by themselves already, no need to add big transit projects to that list. I mean, if York Region can funding for its fake BRT then surely a real BRT or subway should get funding too.

What does Paul Martin have to do with the province deciding to stop funding transit, unlike any other province?

Roch5220, sorry I was being sarcastic when I suggested that Toronto fund all subways by itself. I assumed from my posts other threads you knew what I was don't support your idea.

What does Paul Martin have to do with the province deciding to stop funding transit, unlike any other province?

Because as finance minister Paul Martin reduced transfers to the Provinces, mostly Ontario, to reduce his own govt's deficit. It is still mostly Mike Harris fault, but Paul Martin is stil partly to blame as well. Paul Martin is the reason for the "fiscal imbalance".

One thing I should point out that Transitway is mostly GO's thing. Most of buses using the Transitway and most of the ridership will actually belong to GO rather than MT, and benefits are mostly regional, so it doesn't make sense for Mississauga alone to fund more of it than it has too.

Any subway extension, on the other hand, benefits the TTC directly and has much more local significance than regional, especially if you believe in the idea that subways should be built for the core only and not for the suburbs.

Paul Martin is the reason for the "fiscal imbalance".

The net transfers I believe back in the mid 90s was only approx $5Billion, but grew under the liberals in early 90s to max $28 billion, and then back down again to the number most now, which is $23 billion.

I would point, in terms to only funding, to the Federal liberals in this respect. But there are many bones to pick with Harris and is common sense revolution.

How is it mostly Go's thing when Go will only have 2 stops on the actual route? MT will have stops at all major intersections.

Even if MT has stops at all major intersections, how many people are actually going to use it? It follows the 403, and then Eglinton, and stops where exactly? I don't think anyone knows. It goes from nowhere to nowhere. Okay well Square One to nowhere. It's as useless as the Sheppard Stubway or the Vaughan Corporate Centre Spadina extension. How many Mississaugans are going to use the Transitway to actually get anywhere? If it connected to Kipling I could see it...but it doesn't! It goes NOWHERE! I think a subway line along Dundas would be far better than a BRT. If the funding was better we wouldn't even be talking about BRT. Transit use and population in Misssissauga certainly warrants a subway extension to Square One. And if we had a subway station at Square One, imagine how much easier it'd be to get downtown?

Invariably someone will mention that MCC to downtown would best be served by improved GO Transit from Cooksville. Well, hello, Cooksville isn't a major destination, Square One is. No point pipe dreaming about a realignment of the Milton line through Square One.

In an ideal world we'd get both. In an optimistic world we'd get one. In the real world we have none.

Back