Mississauga Mississauga Transitway | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | IBI Group

I'm not sure how they would count boardings at transitway stations.
Well, do you know what device(s) MiWay uses to count boardings at all? I'm sure they can count on a stop-by-stop basis. Also, Presto data can come in handy there as well

Well, do you know what device(s) MiWay uses to count boardings at all? I'm sure they can count on a stop-by-stop basis. Also, Presto data can come in handy there as well

Farebox. Does farebox know the location? Probably not.

4.7 million riders (actually around 19,000 per weekday) is equal to or greater than the total combined ridership of 100/107/109. It is hard to believe that the transitway stations have so many boardings, even if you count Square One (not really a transitway station) and the GO transitway stations at Winston Churchill and Erin Mills. These routes serve major stops and terminals off of the transitway route as well, such Islington, Westwood, Humber College, the airport, Meadowvale Town Centre.

So I think the actual number of boardings, at actual transitway stations (e.g. not CCTT/Square One), is probably closer to 2 or 3 million. That doesn't mean there aren't a huge number of riders on the transitway, just that not all of them get on at a transitway station.

Farebox. Does farebox know the location? Probably not.

4.7 million riders (actually around 19,000 per weekday) is equal to or greater than the total combined ridership of 100/107/109. It is hard to believe that the transitway stations have so many boardings, even if you count Square One (not really a transitway station) and the GO transitway stations at Winston Churchill and Erin Mills. These routes serve major stops and terminals off of the transitway route as well, such Islington, Westwood, Humber College, the airport, Meadowvale Town Centre.

So I think the actual number of boardings, at actual transitway stations (e.g. not CCTT/Square One), is probably closer to 2 or 3 million. That doesn't mean there aren't a huge number of riders on the transitway, just that not all of them get on at a transitway station.
Sorry, but Sq One is a Transitway Station and setup like it is today due to lack of funds and cost over runs during the building of the line. It was to be tunnel to connect with the existing lower level platforms at CCTT from 403 in the west and under Hurontario St in the east. Cost was somewhere around $20-$30 million and the city had no money to cover that cost.

Close to 50% get off/on the 109 on Rathburn at CCTT. Very few get on/off 107 at the Transitway Stations. Renforth sees very few riders getting off/on 109/107 or connecting to/from TTC. Can't speak to the western section since I rarely use it in the first place.

Sorry, but Sq One is a Transitway Station and setup like it is today due to lack of funds and cost over runs during the building of the line. It was to be tunnel to connect with the existing lower level platforms at CCTT from 403 in the west and under Hurontario St in the east. Cost was somewhere around $20-$30 million and the city had no money to cover that cost.

Close to 50% get off/on the 109 on Rathburn at CCTT. Very few get on/off 107 at the Transitway Stations. Renforth sees very few riders getting off/on 109/107 or connecting to/from TTC. Can't speak to the western section since I rarely use it in the first place.

Yes the original Transitway plan was much more separated than what was built, including complete separation instead of the 403 section, a Creditview GO station and a station at Mavis.

30302-104212.jpg

Heres the below grade section Drum was talking about

gotransit-2109-02.gif

Yes the original Transitway plan was much more separated than what was built, including complete separation instead of the 403 section, a Creditview GO station and a station at Mavis.

30302-104212.jpg

gotransit-2109-02.gif
What do you mean by “more separated than what was built”? The reason it’s not as separated is because those sections haven’t started construction yet (or funded), as they were built in 2 (3?) contracts and maybe 1 or 2 more will be needed for the central section.

Full transitway with Ridgeway, Creditview, City Centre and Hurontario stations is still in the city's long term plans. However, Mavis station has been deleted.

The Erin Mills to Hurontario section would be as long as the current transitway from Hurontario to Renforth, around 7km long, but it would only add two stops. So they prioritized the east section first, with has 9 stops and no freeway bus shoulder lane alternative, to facilitate connections to the airport and Islington.

However, I think dumping buses onto Rathburn is dumb. See the problems with on-street downtown BRT in Ottawa. Mississauga will be same. They will have to build the full transitway eventually.

I mostly use 39 Britannia, so I have only used a transitway a few times but I remember being pleasantly surprised at the amount of riders at the stations. Certainly not 4.7 million boardings, but it's not like the buses stop for nothing either.

Full transitway with Ridgeway, Creditview, City Centre and Hurontario stations is still in the city's long term plans. However, Mavis station has been deleted.

The Erin Mills to Hurontario section would be as long as the current transitway from Hurontario to Renforth, around 7km long, but it would only add two stops. So they prioritized the east section first, with has 9 stops and no freeway bus shoulder lane alternative, to facilitate connections to the airport and Islington.

However, I think dumping buses onto Rathburn is dumb. See the problems with on-street downtown BRT in Ottawa. Mississauga will be same. They will have to build the full transitway eventually.

I mostly use 39 Britannia, so I have only used a transitway a few times but I remember being pleasantly surprised at the amount of riders at the stations. Certainly not 4.7 million boardings, but it's not like the buses stop for nothing either.

Its 500 meteres from Creditview station to Erindale GO on the Milton Line. Do they plan to connnect the two in any way? Seems like a wasted opportunity for a transfer point.

The Transitway is, as I have always said, is a great piece of infrastructure and these ridership increases points to the fact that the people also think so.

I understand the concern about a lack of developable land around the stations but at the same time I think the concern is overblown. One of the key benefits a bus Transitway has over an LRT or subway line is it's tremendous flexibility. It allows for transfer-free travel, express buses, and multiple route interlining. This means that the stations and the final destinations can also come very close to your own front door. BRT gets rid of the thing that transit users hate the most......…..transfers.

One has to wonder to what degree ridership would be higher with full separation right into the city centre. The way it's setup now is a bit unfortunate, and sort of the opposite the way things should be. The congested core is where full grade-separation is most vital, not where things should run on the surface.

Another big issue with running fully separated BRT roads along the 401 between Erin Mills and Creditview is that the area is more ecologically sensitive than the rest of the hydro corridor, and also not very flat. BRT is a very high impact kind of development so it would involve destroying or completely changing a lot of the area with little payoff, as one station at Creditview would involve bridging over the Credit River and Woodland Chase Creek System.

Ideally, these stations should be fully separated as well, but it's very hard to make work with BRT to have it fully separated going through ecological areas, as well as a downtown core. It likely won't be fully separated until it gets upgraded to LRT in the future. It's much easier to install a viaduct (a la Vancouver Skytrain) to go over these areas alongside the 403, and later go into a tunnel for the City Centre and Hurontario stops, as opposed to razing the whole area for a road.

Taking the 109 to Sq One last night, couldn't believe how many doors block off, door off their frames and so on for the various stations. No one maintaining these stations and doors???

Back