Mississauga Mississauga Transitway | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | IBI Group

I mean it’s true in both cases… it’s just that that only really means that the corridor geometry will accommodate rail.
The idea of converting the BRT to LRT has been there since day one but missing a lot of things to make it an LRT Line. It is the same thing for the York Region BRT system.

The first thing is this is GO Transit thing that is part of their bus network and the main user for the corridor based on ridership numbers. Since this is GO Backbone for their network, GO has no need for an LRT line in the first place as it will not fit their needs.

Unless there is a branch line off the Crosstown Line, there is no need for an LRT since Mississauga Transit ridership will not only support one along with branches off it.

To convert the Transitway from Rethford to MCC requires a tunnel under Hurontario St with an underground station for MCC. It will require the section from Rethford to east of Dixie Rd to be completely close for bus service adding extra travel time for all routes that use the Transitway while the conversion is done either for one direction at a time or for both The Transitway road will have to be completely torn up to put the tracks in place with a topcoat on top of the track to allow buses to run on top of it. Substation land needs to be found in a few places.

Once that first section is done, then the next section can be done, Buses will be able to exit or enter the Transitway at Dixie once the tracks are built across that point to get to/from Rethford to branch out from there. Buses to/from MCC while the first section is being rebuilt, buses can use the same exit/entrance for the Transitway

To take the Transitway from MCC to Winston Churchill requires the missing section to be built as well getting to the north side of Hwy 403. That is as far as an LRT may be able to go if ridership numbers can justify doing so and don't seeing any decades soon if ever at all.

As I have stated since 2004, the Transitway is a GO thing with GO generating ridership, but not at the level they call for in the EA. Come 2050+, it may be a different story and if the numbers are achieved as per the EA, then GO needs to change their model setup from Rethford to Hamilton where an LRT will meet those numbers

Like Ottawa, the Mississauga Transitway wouldn't see conversion until ridership gets to the point that it's straining the system.

My understanding is there remains a lot of additional capacity left in the current transitway. 🤣

Like Ottawa, the Mississauga Transitway wouldn't see conversion until ridership gets to the point that it's straining the system.
Meh; If it doesn't get connected to a 407(ish) busway I see a very real possibility that it ends up in a SRT like situation where the problem is a lot less the actual technology than the politics and perception of the transfers that come with it.

Back