Mississauga Mississauga Transitway | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | IBI Group

And they're replacing the central portion of the Ottawa Transitway with a LRT.
I've said it before, and I continue to say it. The worst waste of transit money in Ontario's history. I understand the downtown tunnel (should have been for buses). The LRT will add no new ridership. You are replacing BRT with LRT. In fact, it will be less convenient because the frequency will be less. You are ripping out hundreds of millions of dollars that have been invested to build an LRT outside of the downtown core, which has a density less than a GTA exurb, when BRT worked great. Ottawa could have spent that money on a Bank or Rideau underground subway or LRT, but no.

I've said it before, and I continue to say it. The worst waste of transit money in Ontario's history. I understand the downtown tunnel (should have been for buses). The LRT will add no new ridership. You are replacing BRT with LRT.

Are you saying that with an understanding of how Ottawa is funding their share of the project?

The OCTranspo operating budget is expected to shrink significantly with the conversion. Some of that is letting vehicles flow freely through downtown but most of it is a decrease in manpower required to move the same number of people. Those operating savings are directly funding a big chunk of Ottawa's contribution to the project.

Are you saying that with an understanding of how Ottawa is funding their share of the project?

The OCTranspo operating budget is expected to shrink significantly with the conversion. Some of that is letting vehicles flow freely through downtown but most of it is a decrease in manpower required to move the same number of people. Those operating savings are directly funding a big chunk of Ottawa's contribution to the project.

I lived in Ottawa when this was being planned, attented many of the public open houses. The operating budget was never a significant topic of discussion in terms of a reason for building LRT, and it fact, OC Transpo actually mentioned (as a positive thing) that almost all bus operators will maintain their jobs, whether as train operators, attendants at stations (which they never had to have with BRT), rail maintenance, among other positions. So, yes, I have a first hand understanding of how they are funding their share.

I lived in Ottawa when this was being planned, attented many of the public open houses. The operating budget was never a significant topic of discussion in terms of a reason for building LRT, and it fact, OC Transpo actually mentioned (as a positive thing) that almost all bus operators will maintain their jobs, whether as train operators, attendants at stations (which they never had to have with BRT), rail maintenance, among other positions. So, yes, I have a first hand understanding of how they are funding their share.
Perhaps then, but not quite the case now. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/oc-transpo-cut-hundreds-jobs-2018-1.3674447

Despite the operating costs, I still don't really see the benefits of the LRT conversion {except the downtown tunnel definitely make sense} and the same will be true of the Miss Transitway no matter how busy it gets.

BTW, I do know that a small part of the Miiss line will go along Rathburn but I don't think you can compare that to downtown Ottawa.

Despite the operating costs, I still don't really see the benefits of the LRT conversion {except the downtown tunnel definitely make sense} and the same will be true of the Miss Transitway no matter how busy it gets.

BTW, I do know that a small part of the Miiss line will go along Rathburn but I don't think you can compare that to downtown Ottawa.

Its a great BRT system but its nothing like Bogota's. Mississauga's transit way being converted to an LRT will be better than the BRT system.

Mississauga BRT will never be upgraded to LRT in anyone life time, as it a GO Thing. GO will only using a small section in the City core as a trunk line that would support an LRT around 2050, but all the branch line will be hard press to come close for LRT requirement.

If Renforth-SQ One is to see 10,000 and SQ One-Ridgeway is to see 7,000 at peak time, how do you justify an LRT for GO routes that are supposed to be a single seat ride??? MT will never be close to justify an LRT line any time soon.

Mississauga Transitway will never get ridership like Bogota.

Until all the missing Transitway sections including the city core as well the GTA is built, LRT is a dead issue.

If an double deck seats 83? and departs every 60 seconds, 60/60x83= 5,480 per route in one direction. 2 routes seeing a buse every 30 seconds will be 10,960.

Do the math for x routes passing an x spots that will get you down to having a bus pass X spot every 5 seconds like MTO does, to see what the ridership would be.

Mississauga BRT will never be upgraded to LRT in anyone life time, as it a GO Thing. GO will only using a small section in the City core as a trunk line that would support an LRT around 2050, but all the branch line will be hard press to come close for LRT requirement.

If Renforth-SQ One is to see 10,000 and SQ One-Ridgeway is to see 7,000 at peak time, how do you justify an LRT for GO routes that are supposed to be a single seat ride??? MT will never be close to justify an LRT line any time soon.

Mississauga Transitway will never get ridership like Bogota.

Until all the missing Transitway sections including the city core as well the GTA is built, LRT is a dead issue.

If an double deck seats 83? and departs every 60 seconds, 60/60x83= 5,480 per route in one direction. 2 routes seeing a buse every 30 seconds will be 10,960.

Do the math for x routes passing an x spots that will get you down to having a bus pass X spot every 5 seconds like MTO does, to see what the ridership would be.

I didn't mean any time soon, but its bound to happen at some point however distant or near it may be. Having said that I brought up Bogota because that's a system that has been built to handle capacities well beyond the BRT systems we have built here. Had the transit way been more like that I might've been more inclined to agree that there is no benefit to convert it to an LRT. As for double deckers they have the same problem bi-level go trains do i.e. unloading speeds which hamper delivering efficient rapid transit.

In some ways I really don't even see the benefit of the Mississauga Transitway, at least not yet. I suppose if you're taking MT from somewhere near it, it will get you to the subway slightly faster. But it's not finished yet, and I think it's too far away from where people live for it to be very useful. They should have built the subway to Square One instead.

In some ways I really don't even see the benefit of the Mississauga Transitway, at least not yet. I suppose if you're taking MT from somewhere near it, it will get you to the subway slightly faster. But it's not finished yet, and I think it's too far away from where people live for it to be very useful. They should have built the subway to Square One instead.
That was what I stated back in 2004 that this Transitway will offer every little to MT in the long run.

Far cheaper to build a tram-train off the Milton Line than a subway, as it well offer faster service to Union/Kipling/Bloor/Dixie/Colverdale than a subway would.

As pointed out to me years ago, running an extension of the Milton Line underground to Sq One was the way to go to not only I support it, but I would use it as a bypass to Sq One from both ends. This would allow different type of service going both way from Sq One as well using the existing line. They all service different needs.

Makes no sense running a subway to Sq One when there is nothing between it and where the subway is coming from. You most likely end up having 1 or 2 stations between the 2 points that will be worse that the extension to STC. Best place for a subway is 100% along Dundas to Hurontario, but a life time or 3 down the road, if then. All depends what happens to Dundas in the first place for development.

The weakest link in this so call BRT to Kipling is 427. Until there is an real ROW from Renforth-Kipling-Cloverdale, quality of service is based on what going on, on 427 at all times. Quality of service on the the open section is 300% better than before to the point its only about a 15 minute ride from Sq One to Etobicoke Creek.

Will we ever see stations at Mavis, Creditview, Mississauga Rd, & 9th line? It seems like east of hurontario has it all and west is bare...

Secondly is there any indication on how the rathburn area is going to look like after transitway and Lrt are operating? It seems like the existing station layout off of rathburn is impractical....

Since when has density been the deciding factor in choosing public transit modes in Ontario?

See: Scarborough Subway

Back