Toronto Mirvish Village (Honest Ed's Redevelopment) | 85.04m | 26s | Westbank | Henriquez Partners

From yesterday:
IMG_20210624_124033742_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210624_123121675.jpg

Just some excited rambles... This build is for sure one of my favourite builds going on in the city right now; the different massings and materials creating a finer grain stretch is so refreshing, and possibly even unique to this city in its highrise granular format (I'm not aware of other developments of this scale that have done it in this exact way in other parts of the world, would be interested to know of some comparisons, specially ones doing it with highrises like this.)

The mix of programming on site will also be so valuable: the micro retail strip, the food market, the revitalized Mirvish Lane with new restaurants and shops (plus the retained heritage), new park, public washrooms, light art, affordable rentals (and much more) are all incredible assets, and I hope it can serve as an example for future large scale developments. I can seriously see this space becoming just as Iconic as Honest Ed's for the city, a must visit spot.

A fun quick mockup of how the first tower will look with its cladding (and lighting) using @PatM photo.

mirvishlights.jpg

Last edited:
Just some excited rambles... This build is for sure one of my favourite builds going on in the city right now; the different massings and materials creating a finer grain stretch is so refreshing, and possibly even unique to this city in its highrise granular format (I'm not aware of other developments of this scale that have done it in this exact way in other parts of the world, would be interested to know of some comparisons, specially ones doing it with highrises like this.)

The mix of programming on site will also be so valuable: the micro retail strip, the food market, the revitalized Mirvish Lane with new restaurants and shops (plus the retained heritage), new park, public washrooms, light art, affordable rentals (and much more) are all incredible assets, and I hope it can serve as an example for future large scale developments. I can seriously see this space becoming just as Iconic as Honest Ed's for the city, a must visit spot.

A fun quick mockup of how the first tower will look with its cladding (and lighting) using @PatM photo.

View attachment 331832
For a moment, I believed it is real :)

I absolutely love how this is turning out, and the design intent of breaking up the facades is clearly working. The only thing I lament is that there is not as much colour variation as I had hoped. Some red, brown and yellow brick sections in addition to various shades of grey, white and beige would have elevated this to the next level.

Yes, it's been a much anticipated development with a lot riding on it. It proves that one can build considerable height AND be human scaled at grade. For years, people have argued that it was one or the other and it's just not so. So far this looks like a template cities across Canada can use.

Some people won't accept/see that something is possible unless they're standing in front of it. With this built, maybe those frustrating conversations will come to an end.

Last edited:
I absolutely love how this is turning out, and the design intent of breaking up the facades is clearly working. The only thing I lament is that there is not as much colour variation as I had hoped. Some red, brown and yellow brick sections in addition to various shades of grey, white and beige would have elevated this to the next level.
I'd say this city has a distinct fear of vibrant colours, IMO. And always want to play it safe and conservative instead with its pallet. So we get a soulless monochrome world where we constantly reminded of our winters, even on a bright Summer's day... /sigh

...but I digress. And I agree, this project is looking great outside of that.

I'd say this city has a distinct fear of vibrant colours, IMO. And always want to play it safe and conservative instead with its pallet. So we get a soulless monochrome world where we constantly reminded of our winters, even on a bright Summer's day... /sigh

...but I digress. And I agree, this project is looking great outside of that.
It's whatever investors will buy.

I gotta feeling Mr. End is taking all those pics perched up on one of those old skool flats just North of Hyde Park or something.

Back