Toronto Forma | 308m | 84s | Great Gulf | Gehry Partners

As a matter of interest, where did the storey numbers in the heading of this thread come from? Here it is 2 X88 and 90s. In the Globe it is 3 X 80, if I recall correctly. Thanks in advance.

As a matter of interest, where did the storey numbers in the heading of this thread come from? Here it is 2 X88 and 90s. In the Globe it is 3 X 80, if I recall correctly. Thanks in advance.

"The Princess of Wales theatre would be sacrificed as part of Mr. Mirvish’s broader plan to transform Toronto’s King Street theatre district into an arts hub that would include two large art galleries in addition to the planned 2,600 condo units in three towers with as many as 85 storeys each."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/mirvish-gehry-hope-to-build-legacy-on-torontos-king-street/article4577688/

The Globe has edited its story a couple of times, but it is still not the same as the heading here. This forum broke the story and the media are playing catch up. I'm not doubting the numbers here, just wondering where the numbers are from.

"The Princess of Wales theatre would be sacrificed as part of Mr. Mirvish’s broader plan to transform Toronto’s King Street theatre district into an arts hub that would include two large art galleries in addition to the planned 2,600 condo units in three towers with as many as 85 storeys each."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/mirvish-gehry-hope-to-build-legacy-on-torontos-king-street/article4577688/

I was one of the original members of this forum. It's remarkable how things have changed in the past decade or so. At the time a 50 storey tower would be a big deal. Something like this would've been nearly unthinkable.

Ain't that the truth!

the "Three Sisters" on King (my humble suggestion)

Last edited:
The Globe has edited its story a couple of times, but it is still not the same as the heading here. This forum broke the story and the media are playing catch up. I'm not doubting the numbers here, just wondering where the numbers are from.

Didn't somebody state the floor counts? That post seems to have vanished, but I recall reading it yesterday while the video was still up. After I read it, I counted the floors myself, and came up with around 90 floors (although there was some uncertainty in the exact count due to the base of the tower being almost entirely blocked) so I myself have no reason to doubt the total.

edit -- I just redid the count, and got 6 double-height podium floors and ~84 regular-height floors (the red lines are to the top of that floor count). The "as many as 85 floors" comment from the Globe might refer to the residential tower alone, not including the podium.

image2.jpg

second edit -- assuming a 3m floor-to-floor height results in (84 times 3m) plus (6 times 6m) for a total height of 288m plus any additional height for mechanical floors (which may or may not happen, mechanical floors could be interspersed between the residential floors). The central tower looks to be 10-15 metres taller than the western tower, so it has to be right around 300m in height.

Although if the developer cheaps out and goes with 2.7m floor heights, the building height would be around 260m, which would match the Festival Tower evidence (it looks like the top of the Festival Tower is the same height as the 52nd floor of the proposed tower, which when allowing for the double-height podium suggests a floor height of ~2.7m. In that case the middle tower would be around 270-275 metres in height.

Last edited:
i guess this bldg./theater that was built in 1993 is sentimental to many

Or it could be the fact that a great building is being considered expendable? I'm not sure what age has to do with it (in fact, you could maybe argue that such a great new building shouldn't be knocked down so soon). It is a shame that they couldn't find a way to incorporate the this theatre in to the the plan as well. It does scream out to me as something we might regret down the road, no matter how much people are drooling over this project today.

Or it could be the fact that a great building is being considered expendable? I'm not sure what age has to do with it (in fact, you could maybe argue that such a great new building shouldn't be knocked down so soon). It is a shame that they couldn't find a way to incorporate the this theatre in to the the plan as well. It does scream out to me as something we might regret down the road, no matter how much people are drooling over this project today.

The POW theatre really does fit in well with that strip. It was a great addition in that respect.

One of the more reassuring things is that the person (or one of the main people) involved in getting the theatre there in the first place is responsible for this new project.

That said, with the museum/gallery space being added, one would think a theatre would compliment everything perfectly.

This better include a damn supertall :C

I'm one of those members just aching for a supertall, however, this project might be a bit too close to the CN Tower, even 80-90 stories is pushing it. Is it possible Mr Mervish will use his influence to achieve these intended heights? I'm positive, if built, they will look simply amazing. As for a supertall, one day, I just don't think city council will approve one so close to the CN Tower, maybe a little further uptown?

I think it will come close, but it all depends on the podium levels. The residential might not be enough to get it there on its own.

Either way this will be an amazing development.

It will be interesting what the Design Review Panel will do to this project. While I think that for the most part their recommendations do improve some projects, I get the sense that they don't particularly care for "showy" architecture. Can't help but think that with probably the largest Gehry project ever, some on the DRP will bring their ego to the table.

OACD-U is terribly overcrowded and needs more space, the next announcement from Mirvish is happening tomorrow at AGO. Mirvish and Gehry want to leave a legacy to the city. Could it be that OCAD-U will move into this new space thereby merging all OCAD-U campuses under one roof. The city would get a major Universty of Fine Arts and two major working galleries. The AGO would now have additional space to expand in the future

It will be interesting what the Design Review Panel will do to this project. While I think that for the most part their recommendations do improve some projects, I get the sense that they don't particularly care for "showy" architecture. Can't help but think that with probably the largest Gehry project ever, some on the DRP will bring their ego to the table.

I recall reading one report by the DRP. They admitted in the report that one proposal was "World-class" architecture, but they still rejected it. There were as I recall 12 proposals up for review -- they rejected all 12.

Mongo:

That's 60 Mill Street at the Distillery - which is a VERY different context I would say.

http://www.toronto.ca/planning/2012/agendas/pdf/drp_minutes_23jan12.pdf

A good number of the major concerns as per the report (p. 2-4) has to do with how the project relates to the National Historical Site designation, which of course isn't the case here. And besides, there is "world class" and then there is world class...

AoD

Last edited:

Back