Toronto Forma | 308m | 84s | Great Gulf | Gehry Partners

The building in the photo above is staying, hence the extensive renovations. Since the building was changed from 3 to 2 buildings the only properties being demolished are on either side of Ed Mirvish Way which are two buildings that normally would have been a shame to lose if not for the fact that they are being replaced by two Frank Gehry towers...

It's would be nice if they kept the facade of the buildings on the other side that are going to be torn down. And put that fancy glass look on top it instead !

The building in the photo above is staying, hence the extensive renovations. Since the building was changed from 3 to 2 buildings the only properties being demolished are on either side of Ed Mirvish Way which are two buildings that normally would have been a shame to lose if not for the fact that they are being replaced by two Frank Gehry towers...

Thank you. I agree, those two buildings are very nice. Why does a Frank Gehry tower justify tearing them down? I'm very new to architecture so i'm out of the loop and just curious.

It's would be nice if they kept the facade of the buildings on the other side that are going to be torn down. And put that fancy glass look on top it instead !
I wonder if 276 King Street can be salvaged? The entry portal and canopy is actually decent, and I think it would look great relocated to a park as a free-standing colonnade.

Thank you. I agree, those two buildings are very nice. Why does a Frank Gehry tower justify tearing them down? I'm very new to architecture so i'm out of the loop and just curious.
Gehry is considered, amongst many, one of the better architects of the 21st century. His designs are polarizing for being whimsical and slightly against the norm from how many would normally envision a "building". His AGO renovation in Toronto, not far from his home neighbourhood of Kensington is incredibly tame by his standards (smaller budget) so this project is setting itself up to potentially be a real stunner.

The building at King/John is getting a fresh coat of paint and what looks like new windows since they got paint all over the old ones.

The whole building is being redone. You can see the progress of what has been completed on Project Core's Instagram account. https://www.instagram.com/projectcoreinc/

The top floors will be used by David Mirvish and the Mirvish company. The main and basement as noted above are available for lease. Mirvish needs to move as their existing office is in one of the buildings slated to come down for the new towers.

I walked by last night and they were lifting very large iron beams to the roof. I haven't been following close enough but I recall that there'd be a glass addition to the roof. Looks like that's starting.

I walked by last night and they were lifting very large iron beams to the roof. I haven't been following close enough but I recall that there'd be a glass addition to the roof. Looks like that's starting.
From the looks on the Project Core instagram they're also doing a lot of structural work on the inside, so that adds up.

Any idea of a construction timeline for these towers? Or even an idea when shovels are hitting the ground? It's somewhat frustrating to have such a potentially beautiful tower just hanging over our heads like a carrot on a stick.

Any idea of a construction timeline for these towers? Or even an idea when shovels are hitting the ground? It's somewhat frustrating to have such a potentially beautiful tower just hanging over our heads like a carrot on a stick.
There are no timelines, suites are not on sale yet.

Back