Toronto Forma | 308m | 84s | Great Gulf | Gehry Partners

Height is inherently interesting for more than "fanboys." That's why Pharaohs built pyramids, why medieval European cities added spires to Gothic cathedrals and why the CN Tower, the Eiffel Tower and countless other tourist attractions can successfully charge admission. No apology from me for my interest in tall buildings.

But, for the most part, the specific decisions about height are made on a dollar and cents basis. Exceeding FCP n height may have mattered in their calculations. Being able to advertise their structure as the tallest building in Canada may be useful. I doubt the difference between 998 feet and 1000 matters at all.

I'm not talking about mere height. I'm talkuing about this hand-wringing over "supertall" definitions and the like.

AThe idea of feet as discussed before, is more relevant for about 3 countries in the world.

Agree. How long is it going to take some people to switch. They've had decades to get used to metric. It's getting ridiculous.

Agree. How long is it going to take some people to switch. They've had decades to get used to metric. It's getting ridiculous.

I wouldn't hold your breath. Metric isn't even on the radar down in the US - and they've got a lot of issues bigger than their units of measurement to deal with. Also, our trade relationship with them is the largest in the world - and their media is all over up here - we'll need to use imperial (as a reference or an alternative) for as long as they do.

Most professions in Canada are a mix of both systems. Because so much comes from the US it is not possible to be 100% metric in any field.

I wouldn't hold your breath. Metric isn't even on the radar down in the US - and they've got a lot of issues bigger than their units of measurement to deal with. Also, our trade relationship with them is the largest in the world - and their media is all over up here - we'll need to use imperial (as a reference or an alternative) for as long as they do.

then use the imperial.
Just make a decision instead of alternating between the two. KM for road distance but feet for house size? Liter for volume and pound for weight? No country does that.

then use the imperial.
Just make a decision instead of alternating between the two. KM for road distance but feet for house size? Liter for volume and pound for weight? No country does that.

UK sells gas in litres, but their speed limits are in MPH. It's still 'relatively' early in the conversion. Still a lot of old timers who grew up on imperial, we'll see this for a long time yet. I grew up during the conversion, so between that and dealing with friends and clients in the US, it's easy to pop back and forth for me. It's really not an issue if you're used to it.

Canada does. It's not the end of the world, either.

It's very frustrating, even for architectural designers who are used to working with numbers and switching back and forth. Mistakes are made.

I really wish one day Canada will switch fully over to Metric. It's a shame that the USA exerts so much influence with its use of Imperial, which is a very non-intuitive system of measurements.

Regardless of your wishes, it's going to take quite some time to die out. Guess you'll simply have to be patient. I'm in the film and television industry and I routinely work for designers who constantly reference set drawings and graphics in feet and inches. It's annoying and yes, mistakes can be easily made when converting - but I deal. And I remember the Big Brother attempt made to convert Canada to metric in the 70s, how ham-fisted and bureaucratic the effort was, and how much people from all walks of life resisted it. The only way I see us going fully over into metric is when people my age and older die off - and when America fully embraces metric. I just don't see it happening soon.

Back to M-G. Idle spectulation, of course, but I'm wondering how long we have to wait until we see new renderings of refinements to the design.

I wouldn't hold your breath. Metric isn't even on the radar down in the US

Metric is the official system of measurement in the science and technology field in the US. It just hasn't made its way into the public consciousness yet because of the cost it would take to switch everything.

Back