Toronto Forma | 308m | 84s | Great Gulf | Gehry Partners

Which reminds me of another issue I am having with revised design: Is anyone considering how reflective this thing would get when standing in plain view of unobstructed sunlight?

Due to its size, girth and reflective surface are, I am going to assume it will be a lot. Likely more than regular humans can handle when looking directly at it under those conditions...
If it's crimpled, maybe it will scatter enough to not be a 'death ray' like the Walkie Talkie building in London. May still produce a glare looking at it.

If it's crimpled, maybe it will scatter enough to not be a 'death ray' like the Walkie Talkie building in London. May still produce a glare looking at it.
I imagine with the notoriety the Walkie Talkie gained from literally melting cars that it's something they'd actively design to avoid this.

I am sure this will ultimately be stunning. I was initially upset with the changes because I was attached to the last iteration and height.
I have let that go and can now be excited about this. If cladding is anything like the previous images we might have our selves a dancing disco duo. I can get behind that.

I was less afraid of that than it searing peeps' retinas when they look upon it on a bright sunny day, accidentally or otherwise.

I imagine with the notoriety the Walkie Talkie gained from literally melting cars that it's something they'd actively design to avoid this.
I'm more concerned with bird strikes than anything.

I am sure this will ultimately be stunning. I was initially upset with the changes because I was attached to the last iteration and height.
I have let that go and can now be excited about this. If cladding is anything like the previous images we might have our selves a dancing disco duo. I can get behind that.
I just hope that at least one of these towers will have an unobstructed view from the typical skyline vantage points. Seeing this thing glisten on the skyline would be incredible. Pretty sure Toronto would be the only city in the world with a glistening building in its skyline.

The fact of the Walkie-talkie building in London is that it’s slight concave fronting windows arranged in just the wrong way that all focus the light/Sun rays to one area hence melting the cars. This proposal is not even similar. Node are any in the city currently or being proposed. So please have no worries of this happening here. I feel developers learned something from that outcome. As for this project, it certainly has no curves again considering who’s name is on it you’d think there would be, but again we are safe and flat. And Torontoized.

Last edited:
Gehry's Walt Disney Concert Hall in LA was also taken to task by its neighbours for incredible glare and concentrated heat spots, so its surface ended up brushed to drop the reflectance level. The firm is personally well aware of not creating new death rays!

The fact of the Walkie-talkie building in London is that it’s slight concave fronting windows arranged in just the wrong way that all focus the light/Sun rays to one area hence melting the cars. This proposal is not even similar. Node are any in the city currently or being proposed. So please have no worries of this happening here. I feel developers learned something from that outcome. As for this project, it certainly has no curves again considering who’s name is on it you’d think there would be, but again we are safe and flat. And Torontoized.

Torontoized or not, I'd really like to see this built in my lifetime. When the project was first announced, I thought, naively, that I'd be enjoying something spectacular on the skyline by now. I'm 73 - please start before I run out of gas.

I'm 73 - please start before I run out of gas.

^ 73 is the new 40 (I'm 30). As for running out of gas, just buy a Porche Taycan EV for those longer trips.

Torontoized or not, I'd really like to see this built in my lifetime. When the project was first announced, I thought, naively, that I'd be enjoying something spectacular on the skyline by now. I'm 73 - please start before I run out of gas.
live long my freind. i think of sir Frank Gehry who is out of gas and running on batteries. i hope he live long enough to see this project become reality.

Gehry's Walt Disney Concert Hall in LA was also taken to task by its neighbours for incredible glare and concentrated heat spots, so its surface ended up brushed to drop the reflectance level. The firm is personally well aware of not creating new death rays!

Gehry apparently wanted it made of stone which would have taken this building to a whole other level. The facades are sometimes used for art displays at night- the residents in his towers across the street will be getting quite the lightshow on some evenings.

Back