Toronto Forma | 308m | 84s | Great Gulf | Gehry Partners

You're right about the CN Tower being off topic. But it and the new city hall on Queen St is a good reason why this city has been pushing a futuristic look for the city since the 60s. You can actually see new development like Union Centre and Union Park. Having to comply in complimenting the CN Tower with height and prospective viewing in my opinion .

I'd much rather we'd unlock more land in the core to development than to concentrate density in a few super-tall sites.

I'm perfectly happy with the CN Tower's observatory height being peak, arbitrary or not.

Why settle for one tall thing when we could have two? NYC having multiple very tall buildings takes nothing away from it. Wouldn't mind a building exceeding the observatory, as long as it's not too near to the CN Tower.

Like i said up above, the Toronto Financial District in the future can definitely support and handle a couple residential 400+ meter pencil towers without going through too much municipal bureaucracy
Another place for sure is somewhere in the City of Mississauga which should be breaking the 300+ meter mark very soon
...anyways lets not get off topic,, a couple approved towers @ 330m + 305m here are not too shabby:cool:
400m pencil towers?? Where? Containing what?
The University/York/King triangle could hold 2 to 3 towers of that size without running into shadowing concerns. 33 Yonge is another prime location which is currently underbuilt, and an office/hotel (mostly office) combo would fit very well there.
You'd shadow NPS on the former. 33 Yonge has preliminary plans but that's all I can say.

Somewhat on-topic and too early to start a thread. I'm off on holiday to teach my 90 year-old Mother chess (thanks a bunch "Queen's Gambit")... and thought I'd share this tidbit with the UT family. Best wishes to all for the holidays and stay safe.🎄

Anonymous tipsters at Frank Gehry's studio leaked an early sketch for a 400 metre mixed-use tower, likely destined for the stalled YSL site. Though the green glazing will not be welcomed by all, the seasonal built form is definitely outside the box.

Future-xmas.jpg

Candid photo of Frank pointing ^ to the render. Best wishes to Frank.

gehry2--490x490.JPG

Link
Cheers.

Somewhat on-topic and too early to start a thread. I'm off on holiday to teach my 90 year-old Mother chess (thanks a bunch "Queen's Gambit")... and thought I'd share this tidbit with the UT family. Best wishes to all for the holidays and stay safe.🎄

Anonymous tipsters at Frank Gehry's studio leaked an early sketch for a 400 metre mixed-use tower, likely destined for the stalled YSL site. Though the green glazing will not be welcomed by all, the seasonal built form is definitely outside the box.

View attachment 290621

Candid photo of Frank pointing ^ to the render. Best wishes to Frank.
Cheers.

I didn't realize Frank Gehry's new style is Cro-Magnon flint heads.

AoD

400m tall tower in Toronto???

Bro this is Toronto and not Dubai. It's final height will be 299m with the building redesigned to look like a box with blue glass curtain wall.
Couldn't resist eh ;). That's the holiday spirit. See Frank's photo above (kidding).

I had a question about the newly renovated 322 King. Looks great, just wondering though, while it’s been designated heritage nearly 10 years ago, I’d imagine a builder cannot knock it down, but could they /
add stories to it (not that I’d want them to)?

From the heritage register website: Eclipse Whitewear Building, 1903, Gregg & Gregg; altered Diamond & Myers -Listing adopted by City Council on June 20, 1973. Intention to designate adopted by City Council August 26, 2010. Designation bylaw # 1151-2011 passed by City Council on Sept 21 & 22, 2011. Also, part of the King-Spadina Heritage Conservation District, adopted by City Council on October 4, 2017, by by-law 1241-2017, which is currently under appeal.

Back