Toronto Forma | 308m | 84s | Great Gulf | Gehry Partners

Knowing the work Gehry has already done I feel confident this will shimmer in a lot of ways. His recent work still uses a lot of wood (which we may see in the podium) and many of his projects utilize metallic-like facades. A lot of this comes down to money but Mirvish and Great Gulf are unlikely to let their names be sullied by a cheapened design. Updated models, to me at least, look every bit as Gehry as the ones before!

I found that hard to believe - if he doesn't care much about this project he could have gotten a second in command to show up to present the updated design - and we're talking about someone who is approaching 90.

AoD
So, how often has he been here?
The redesign doesn’t seem up to Gehry standards.

So, how often has he been here?
The redesign doesn’t seem up to Gehry standards.

At least a few times for this project that I can recall, and it isn't like he send us his iternary - what's your comparator?

As to it "not up to his standards" - perhaps you can let us know what it is that apparently Gehry himself doesn't?

AoD

Last edited:
I'd like to think this is his capstone project.

AoD

Good point. If he lives to 100, he’ll just barely have enjoyed seeing this building finished. This isn't going to be built in a couple of years. By the time it goes into sales, starts construction and the ribbon is cut, he’ll be around 95. Depending on what else he has going, this will be one of his final pieces. Being that it's in his hometown, I expect him to care quite a bit about how he's remembered here.

Good point. If he lives to 100, he’ll just barely have enjoyed seeing this building finished. This isn't going to be built in a couple of years. By the time it goes into sales, starts construction and the ribbon is cut, he’ll be around 95. Depending on what else he has going, this will be one of his final pieces. Being that it's in his hometown, I expect him to care quite a bit about how he's remembered here.

The various interviews of Gehry certainly indicated that he cares - and one can't be admiss of a certain observation made by Alex B in his Globe article. Details matter.

AoD

The design isn't happening here anyway, it's happening in LA. It'll only be constructed here, with construction administration occurring through a local firm that has yet to be identified. The only reason Gehry would need to be in Toronto would be to meet with Great Gulf.

I think looking at the evolution of 8 Spruce St (and end-result being of very high quality) is a good comparison for this project. Gehry designs get refined, and as previously mentioned the beauty is in the details that you simply can't capture in a scale model.

EightSpruce3.jpg

Image from ctbuh.org.

Last edited:
Don't be silly. A tower so eccentric and outlandish has no place on our dear Toronto skyline. We deserve only the best in banal efficiency and the Toronto Gehry tower needs to draw inspiration from the very best in local architecture, such as Sugar Wharf. But don't worry, we'll get the opportunity pay the comparable exuberant prices, so we'll feel equally esteemed! /s

I think looking at the evolution (and end-result being of very high quality) is a good comparison for this project. Gehry designs get refined, and as previously mentioned the beauty is in the details that you simply can't capture in a scale model.

EightSpruce3.jpg

Image from ctbuh.org.

Maybe, but he has been asked to design a massive building at Hudson Yards in NY.
Gehry + Calatrava is every engineering team's worst nightmare. Sure to be spectacular! Also for what it's worth I'm pretty sure Frank Gehry LLP has many projects on the go or pending approval so I'm unsure any will end up being his "capstone".

Back