Toronto Forma | 308m | 84s | Great Gulf | Gehry Partners

Perhaps one day the CN Tower will be dwarfed by surrounding buildings the way Calgary Tower is.

I lived for 10 years on the 50th floor of a downtown condo building - thankfully, that is all in the past. I can tell you right now that until elevator standards are improved, I will absolutely never live on such a high floor again. You can keep your supertalls!

Perhaps one day the CN Tower will be dwarfed by surrounding buildings the way Calgary Tower is.
I thought the city planning department won't let anything be taller than first Canadain Place. If that is the case then I doubt they would let anything be taller then the CN tower plus why would you want anything taller then it as it would hinder the view and it wouldn't be a tourist destination.

Besides, policy changes all the time. What's deemed optimal today may not be deemed optimal tomorrow.

I thought the city planning department won't let anything be taller than first Canadain Place. If that is the case then I doubt they would let anything be taller then the CN tower plus why would you want anything taller then it as it would hinder the view and it wouldn't be a tourist destination.

There are a few underdeveloped lots that have unlimited height according to the official plan. City planning would not fight a proposal that went above First Canadian Place in those places (unless there was some other conflict). Commerce Court 3 is one of them. My impression is that either A) the economics don't allow for a building much taller than 300 metres, or B) the developer does not want to go through the hassle of the extra checks required for something super tall. It is still well within the realm of possibility.

There are a few underdeveloped lots that have unlimited height according to the official plan. City planning would not fight a proposal that went above First Canadian Place in those places (unless there was some other conflict). Commerce Court 3 is one of them. My impression is that either A) the economics don't allow for a building much taller than 300 metres, or B) the developer does not want to go through the hassle of the extra checks required for something super tall. It is still well within the realm of possibility.
Why on earth do we need anything that tall?

I have never heard of such a policy or guideline.

because there isn't one. The city has approved 3 different buildings taller than FCP, likely soon to be 4.

Also, Google Earth's new 3D allows us to see the FCP is actually shorter than previously thought. Its height is actually closer to 291m to the mechanical penthouse, not 298m.

because there isn't one. The city has approved 3 different buildings taller than FCP, likely soon to be 4.

Also, Google Earth's new 3D allows us to see the FCP is actually shorter than previously thought. Its height is actually closer to 291m to the mechanical penthouse, not 298m.

How is it possible that it's been off by 7m all this time? Is it not perhaps an issue on Google Earth's end?

unlikely, google is almost always within 1m or so. I wouldn't rely on it for measurements by less than that, but it isn't going to be 7m off. For example, it correctly measures aura as 272m, nearly gets scotiaplaza at 276m (it is listed at 275m), get TD Canada trust at 263m, Commerce Court at 239m, etc... Then FCP is 291m.

Last edited:
It's possible. I've only seen the height of FCP posted on websites and we all know how that goes. They all copy each other. It's also possible FCP stood as the tallest obtainable height at some point in the past. IIRC, Crombie wanted or even pushed through a maximum height of 35 metres.

The unlimited height limit is a misnomer as you have the NPS shadowing guidelines.

Back