Toronto Mirabella Condominiums | 120m | 38s | Mirabella Dev Corp | Scott Shields

They may have agreement on the elevation, but that does not mean that they will end up with something desirable there. I think the massing and the aesthetic being employed on this development preclude that.

Wait till the inevitable public art discussion comes - I am even less hopeful in that case.

The architecture of the proposed condominium building on the subject site was inspired by the legacy of important historical buildings located along Toronto’s lakefront. These buildings are often noted for their rigorous rhythm of monolithic masonry or concrete structure, balanced by oversized glazed openings, often with a fine grid of mullions.

*throws up a little in my mouth*

AoD

Hence my reference to nausea on the previous page. Not only does that employ language meant to bludgeon the less educated reader into submission, its thesis is blatantly untrue. The more egregious the architectural crime about to be committed… the more stomach-turning the prose.

Getting under way with shoring, etc., as of yesterday:

DSC02156.jpg
DSC02157.jpg
DSC02158.jpg
DSC02159.jpg
DSC02161.jpg

@cd concept will it? The renders are not great. Maybe if the materials are exceptional and there is more contrast in tones, but as depicted... I can’t imagine any better than OK
I'll take anything that's not an all glass box looking building! As you can see in the photo below this building is full of detail with solid balconies, black trim windows, precast Stone work and detailed rooftop. A much more solid looking structure than the other structures beside and behind it in the photo below !

this wasn't good when it was proposed for North York Centre in 2005. Is it really that important it isn't a glass box?

These towers already have larger floor plates than they should, for their height they will look stubby. Cladding them in precast in a lazy PoMo style and massing will only add to their ponderous quality. There's little to look forward to with these other than the residential density here (added to that of the proposed buildings across Windermere to the west) may make a few retail spots sustainable at ground level. Shops there would be a boon to people visiting the parks across Lake Shore during the summer, hopefully giving them a few more options than the crappy fast food joint in the park.

I live next door at NXT and all I want is a little bit of retail whether it's in this building, or the ones across Windermere that are proposed
This has about 3,400sf of retail in it, so you are in luck.

1978 Lake Shore W. has over 10,000sf proposed - but that's really preliminary so that will likely change.

Living in NXT, I'd be more interested in the significant retail component planned in 34 Southport, which has a 13,000sf grocery store planned.

Back