Toronto Minto Westside | 68.88m | 20s | Minto Group | Wallman Architects

you know they’ll say what they can to justify it. All developers seem to find a way to do this. I don’t get it personally. Why design a. Building that should be first off designed based on many factors of course but. Cost should be added into it a head of time. And thought about well beyond any final design that gets submitted. Why go through the bother of wasting time and energy and resources they way they seem to do advertising, is kinda ridiculous. And why and how is it legal to do this anyways. It’s strait up lying. Yet people still fall for it. If I invested in a building I’d based my decision of my residence of course but as well as what I’m said to be living in. If my house was to be built for me wit a particular design givin and I got something completely different I am sure I’d be ticked off. But that’s just me. Anyways sorry all. My two cents and done. Now, you may comment please be kind I’m just dumb founded by this issue of “baiting and switching”. Thanks!

you know they’ll say what they can to justify it. All developers seem to find a way to do this. I don’t get it personally. Why design a. Building that should be first off designed based on many factors of course but. Cost should be added into it a head of time. And thought about well beyond any final design that gets submitted. Why go through the bother of wasting time and energy and resources they way they seem to do advertising, is kinda ridiculous. And why and how is it legal to do this anyways. It’s strait up lying. Yet people still fall for it. If I invested in a building I’d based my decision of my residence of course but as well as what I’m said to be living in. If my house was to be built for me wit a particular design givin and I got something completely different I am sure I’d be ticked off. But that’s just me. Anyways sorry all. My two cents and done. Now, you may comment please be kind I’m just dumb founded by this issue of “baiting and switching”. Thanks!

It's marketing. We see it in other industries. Makes you wonder what kind of tricks do builders pull with things you can't see?

Has anyone heard what the retail is going to be in this building? Originally a grocery store was slated, but then it seems like that was cancelled and then nothing further was announced.

Something feels off about this building but I can't put my finger on it. If you squint really hard, you can somewhat see the resemblance to the renderings but the devil is in the details. If you have a closer look, the final result (despite not being finished) looks nothing like the renderings so far.

Aside for the fact that the intricate white maze-like arrangement is not even close to the rendering, I think the main disparity comes from the fact that in the rendering, the windows were filled in around the white frames. Some floors don't even look lined up. In actuality, Minto kind of just slapped the white frames wherever they could around standard floor plans. It's kind of hard to explain so hopefully someone else can chime in.

After looking through all the projects around the city, I can confidently say that Minto is one of the worst liars in the industry, to me at least. Look at Minto Yorkville as well; they bait and switch buyers with upscale and eccentric renderings and then fall flat with the actual result.

Concord gets a lot of flak on this forum but at least their junk is relatively consistent between renderings and real life.

View attachment 173570

Except that this concept was their first concept, but changed pretty early on. I'm not sure why it was changed, they presented it and then had to change it for some reason.
This was the concept they ran with for practically their entire sales duration. https://d2kcmk0r62r1qk.cloudfront.n...e/2014_10_31_10_43_37_westside-elevation.jpeg

Even their model was representative of that: https://d2kcmk0r62r1qk.cloudfront.n...e/2014_11_21_03_09_38_2014-11-20_18.33.40.jpg.

So, no, they didn't pull the wool over anyone's eyes.

Has anyone heard what the retail is going to be in this building? Originally a grocery store was slated, but then it seems like that was cancelled and then nothing further was announced.

I've heard LCBO, and Sobeys so far. Not sure if they're confirmed though. The grocery store will take up most of the retail space, so there won't be too many units.

That’s a beast of a building!
I’m surprised that Sobey’s may be a tenant as there is already one close by, just across the tracks west of Spadina.

When I look at the roof line I think of BIG's Amager Bakke Waste-To-Energy Plant and Copenhill. I wish there was a ski slope on top of a building here in TO.

There is also the Loblaws and an LCBO (I think) going in at the West Block development maybe 500 metres down the street

I just found the retail lease listings for this building and they have one posted for 35k sq ft of retail available for lease: https://www.minto.com/gta/toronto-commercial-space/unit/Unit-A~854.html

This old building brochure shows a total of 30k retail in the building: https://www.minto.com/img/templates/27/Westside Broker Presentation FINAL.pdf

Therefore, I am guessing the 35k retail lease is for the only location that the grocery store would go, meaning even Minto probably doesn't know who the tenant is.

Back