Toronto Minto Midtown | 160.01m | 52s | Minto Group | Zeidler

I think people are commenting the loft pics, not the model suite pics

I was commenting on a post above the loft pics that said the cabinets were ugly, I hadn't even seen the loft pics til today as I hadn't had time to read the rest of the thread.

Waiting for Minto now to show up and investigate a rattle in my HVC that is driving me up the wall. At least this issue has been responded to very quicky.

Mary

Pictures

Well, the floor was dirty and the thermostat was in the expected ludicrous spot, but otherwise the unit was in pretty good shape. The view is way better than advertised given I'm not high enough to see over the south tower or the CT buildings. This was the best surprise of the afternoon. I can add more pictures later, these are just the first decent batch. Please forgive the quality, they were taken with a cellphone under less than ideal lighting conditions.

The main living area from the entrance hall:
Photo-0028.jpg

The 2nd bedroom:
Photo-0030.jpg

The kitchen...relieved my choice of materials looks good (to me):
Photo-0031.jpg

The master bedroom:
Photo-0035.jpg

The main living area from the master bedroom:
Photo-0038.jpg

The kitchen was dusty too, but the quality was pretty good:
Photo-0043.jpg

For a developer with their reputation, I have to say that their finishings are piss-poor, based on what I've seen in my unit and looking at other units. For example look at that rather obvious split covering panel in the kitchen island.

The kitchen...relieved my choice of materials looks good (to me):
Photo-0031.jpg

Major items in my unit (the loft pictured in previous page)
1. they had to tear-apart the kitchen floor due to un-even concrete floor, causing the hardwood to sink whenever someone steps on it
2. Scratches all over bathroom marbles. They had to bring in one of those big grinder to smoothen them out, in the end the scratches are still visible.

Believe me in the upcoming customer satisfaction review, I will slam them to no end.

the thing is that my unit layout looks so good (really large living room (living room + den alone > 500sqft), high ceiling, huge windows) that I'm willing to overlook the defects

Oh no, I reported my floor in front of the bathroom sinks when stepped on on my 30 day form (it was missed during PDI). I thought it may be due to them having to fix grout between two tiles in the bathroom near the door, but now I'm not so sure. They already made a HUGE mess moving my thermostat (3 wall patches with all the sanding to get it right) and didn't do it before I moved in as promised and thus I had plaster dust everywhere.

I had problems with my kitchen granite, there is a seriously ugly flaw, which they can't do anything about but it's not smooth (picture in facebook group). They came in a few weeks ago and "fixed" it, leaving a mess of dirty water marks all over my cabinets and appliances, but it's still not smooth. Don't think they'll ever get it smoothed, but there's no way I'm going through granite replacement!!

My biggest issue right now is a rattle in the heating system somewhere. Friday they thought they had it isolated to a pipe behind the system, but they were wrong and the email I have says they are going to continue investigating Monday. It sounds up high and I sure hope it isn't the ducts as that could get very messy. It sounds like metal vibrating due to a loose bolt and the sound keeps me awake at nigh (hence my visit here :))

Oh yeah, the building is registered - I didn't get the memo on this, for some reason I didn't get their email even though they have my email address. Facilities open this Friday!

Customer Sat Survey??? There is one?? Considering I've already written to the president of Minto about their so called customer care, if they give me one, it won't be pretty.

Mary

For a developer with their reputation, I have to say that their finishings are piss-poor, based on what I've seen in my unit and looking at other units. For example look at that rather obvious split covering panel in the kitchen island.

That's actually not a split...though when I looked at it I saw exactly what you were talking about. It's an illusion, created by the angle, lighting, and the resampling of the picture (the original shows what's actually going on).

The covering is two panels, but the gap is covered by a tapered strip of wood, and appears to be by design. I have a photo that shows this much better and might add it later. Thanks for the heads-up, I will make sure it's affixed properly when I go back.

I was told they can't move the thermostat since it's not a deficiency. But It's not as big a deal to me, I'll either move it myself or live with it. I don't want to put a wall unit there, but I would probably like to hang some things and it is definitely in an obnoxious location.

I guess customer experience is pretty variable; my rep was surprisingly thorough, and had marked up small deficiencies in the unit before I got there. He also arranged for the fridge "skin" to be replaced due to all the dings and scratches left by workers (again before I got there). Of course, I've just started, there may be many nasty surprises ahead.

The cheapest materials I found are the sliding doors. I will probably replace those. There are also a couple of gouges in the hardwood and I wonder how they're going to replace boards without ripping up the whole floor.

Enough from me, off to the furniture store.

I noticed the split in the island too, but if it's just a wood strip than that's okay. The lighting in the kitchen looks under done, like it needs more. Would be nice to see some night pictures showing how everything looks.

The floor to ceiling glass looks nice. Great views too.

Why is your sink over-mounted? Looks like poo imho. The colour scheme is very muted, conservative and rather dated looking. I wonder if there will be any "wind tunnel" issues in the winter, as there can be when up that high with buildings close by?

under-mounted sink is usually an upgrade.

Judging by my experience with Minto, you might as well stick with the basic and upgrade yourself.

1. you can get at least 30-40% cheaper
2. I bet the finishing will be much better

Why is your sink over-mounted? Looks like poo imho. The colour scheme is very muted, conservative and rather dated looking. I wonder if there will be any "wind tunnel" issues in the winter, as there can be when up that high with buildings close by?

I think the condo looks great...even with the overmounted sink, no big deal. The colour scheme is modern and not dated looking at all...the column in the living room looks good too! Why don't you show us some pics of your kitchen urbandreamer and we'll judge to see if your's looks like poo or not too :)....if you can dish it out, you should be able to take it too right?

That's some kitchen, but somehow I think Minto might have charged me a small upgrade fee for it.

Why is your sink over-mounted? Looks like poo imho. The colour scheme is very muted, conservative and rather dated looking.

Conservative? Probably. But given my options, I am still happy with it. There wasn't much I could have chosen that would have been considered funky. I think that if you're buying new, there's probably only so much you can do.

In any case I'm satisfied with the look of the kitchen; if I want to do something unconventional there's lots of other places that are easier and cheaper to customize without potentially harming the unit's resale value. Some buyers might not like a kitchen straight out of The Jetsons.

As for the sink, I'm the first to admit I know nothing about these things. There was nothing available for a reasonable price. If Urbandreamer or anyone else knows of a way I could upgrade without having to take serious granite-carving action (or spending $10,000), I'm all ears. I have never owned anything or lived anywhere as nice as my new unit, so it all looks great to me.

under-mounted sink is usually an upgrade.

Judging by my experience with Minto, you might as well stick with the basic and upgrade yourself.

1. you can get at least 30-40% cheaper
2. I bet the finishing will be much better

Can one actually get the undermount sink done 'after the fact'? I am interested in having this upgrade done on my suite (elsewhere) and would certainly not object to saving on the cost :)

my only question is would a contractor be able to do the undermount work afterward when the counters and cabinets are installed, given the limited room they would have to work with?

Can one actually get the undermount sink done 'after the fact'? I am interested in having this upgrade done on my suite (elsewhere) and would certainly not object to saving on the cost :)

my only question is would a contractor be able to do the undermount work afterward when the counters and cabinets are installed, given the limited room they would have to work with?

I've looked into this since getting my mild slap from Urbandreamer and apparently this sort of work is pretty common, but might be a bit messy. I'll let you know if I find any contractors who might be suitable, should I try to take on an upgrade.

Back