Toronto The Milan Condominium | ?m | 37s | Conservatory Group | Richmond Architects COMPLETE

• Thread starter The Burgher of TO
  • Start date
Wow! The dreck ends here! Conservatory Group! Who woulda thunk it? I'm walkin' the catwalk to Milan as we speak.

This condo is too sexy.

Okay, a little bit hyperbolic in that last post, but for a Conservatory Group project to look that good is quite something.

Anyone know - Andrew? - if there is still a plan for two towers on this site? It looks like it has a small enough footprint to allow for another phase to its north.

nice rendering, but when built on the cheap it will probably look like hell.. it's all in the details

Andrew: Thanks for the aerial view. Not to be nitpicky but the area which you have shown in red is larger than the actual condo site. The site does not include the gas bar, on the corner of Yonge and Church, nor a big chunk of the parking area north and east of the gas bar. It does not have any Yonge St. frontage.

As for number of buildings, I am not positive but would guess at this point that there will be only one building. An application had been submitted by Canadian Tire to the City back in 2002 for two buildings of 25 storeys each, but this had not been approved. Some may recall that there was controversy over it, sparked by a neighbouring landowner to the east who had a concern about shadows. The site was subsequently sold.

It will be interesting to see what kind of materials they use. Pemberton tried to sell their standard stuff with The Uptown and that's still in sales. If Conservatory tries the same they won't be getting the $500 / sq ft the site is capable of.

Wouldn't want to live above a gas station though. That may drop the selling price. The fumes would drive me crazy.

JG

Haven't we seen this tower before? Oh, that's right! It's the typical Toronto condo - square and rectangular. Ugh, everywhere I go in this city I see similar towers? Heaven forbid we try something new, intriguing. Something with curves.

Oh my does it have curves alright-!! and put together they add up to a downward spiral...
--------

Milan is not a bad looking tower, but looks a little top heavy with those wrap around balconies on the corner-maybe they should have stuck with the split ones all the way up...

p5

eclectic, perhaps you could tell us what you are looking for in a tower. I could think of, oh, 30-40 curved towers built in the past few years.

I agree with p5archit. I am not sure about the top. I find I keep staring at it and it just does not seem right (much like many akward asian skycrapers). It looks like someone's failed attempt at the grace of a typical Aa building.

p5archit: the top-heaviness is part of what I find a bit sexy in this tower. It looks like a bit of a pout to me, or a little wink. Not like the leers and jeers that Shanghai/Pudong buildings go for. Restrained but playful.

caltrane: if one found the need to round up, one would say about 40 stories. one might also just blurt out 38.

37 storeys according to the Committee of Adjustments (they really need to keep the CofA agendas online for longer than a week)

Too bad they couldn't have built the building right on the corner, and moved the (much needed) gas station to the rear.

Back