News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.7K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 550     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.3K     0 

Toronto Metropolitan University (Ryerson) Campus Public Realm

I guess we've run out of names. Toronto's fourth university: York Metropolitan University.

Toronto's fourth university is Ontario College of Art and Design University.

Technically, Toronto's fifth university is Université de l'Ontario français (which never should have been established, IMO)

Toronto's fourth university is Ontario College of Art and Design University.

Technically, Toronto's fifth university is Université de l'Ontario français (which never should have been established, IMO)
I'm not sure where the University of Guelph-Humber stands.

In the USA, they name universities after the states. How about the "University of Ontario"? Not to be confused with the "Ontario Tech University" in the City of Oshawa.

No way that confusion wouldn't happen, given that the legal name of the place in Oshawa is still "University of Ontario Institute of Technology." Ontario Tech is just a branding.

I mean, Bill Davis hasn't been cancelled. He died recently, is reasonably well respected... why not Davis University? Though I can see people mixing it up with UC Davis.
They'll dig up some dirt on him, and 30 years from now they'll find a reason to cancel him.

Toronto Metropolitan University (TMU) is alright, I guess.
We can start calling it "The Met", and it certainly won't be the first, nor the last.

Question is though, should I request my new parchment, or keep everything with Ryerson?
New parchment will cost around 70 bucks

Last edited:
I am guessing it will be shortened to "MetU", especially to those who already use "UT" as the short form for University of Toronto (as opposed to U of T).

We can start calling it "The Met", and it certainly won't be the first, nor the last.
I prefer TeeMoo. Maybe The Moo.

Or…. Moo U

moo-university-logo.png

Last edited:
I love the name. For me, "Toronto Metropolitan" evokes distant memories of riding the GO train into the city when I was a kid, and seeing the Metropolitan Toronto logo appear in those funny grass advertising spaces next to Lakeshore/the Gardiner.
Obviously it's nostalgia, but the name reminds me of a happy, simple time in the city. I also think "Metropolitan" sounds really Greek, cosmopolitan, and like a tasty ice cream flavour.
I never much liked the sound of "Ryerson", it sounds like rye bread, which is good too, but sort of bland and dry compared to delicious Metropolitan ice cream.

Back