News   Apr 18, 2024
 242     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.8K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.9K     4 

Toronto Metropolitan University (Ryerson) Campus Public Realm

Not positive, but assuming this is this?

View attachment 240366View attachment 240367

Yes it is! The area you photographed was delayed due to emergency enwave construction. This project was supposed to be done in January, that was not a realistic timeline so many students were told around march. With this enwave construction who knows how long it will take. Being a student this has been a living hell. I am glad that the emergency construction was done before paving went down but they have now dug up the street twice. Enwave better do something for students

Project coming along nicely. Don’t think it will be finished in time for no students to show up in September. It was delayed because of unplanned underground work.

this area has been fully pedestrianized and Ryerson had plans to implement lighting meant for pedestrians. With the new work finishing up it seems there are still going to be city street lights and a clear “roadway” with nothing obstructing it. I don’t understand this, anyone have answers or a theory?

DCFC9390-74B0-4640-93FA-8D29900F9460.jpeg

Project coming along nicely. Don’t think it will be finished in time for no students to show up in September. It was delayed because of unplanned underground work.

this area has been fully pedestrianized and Ryerson had plans to implement lighting meant for pedestrians. With the new work finishing up it seems there are still going to be city street lights and a clear “roadway” with nothing obstructing it. I don’t understand this, anyone have answers or a theory?

View attachment 261807

Hmm, the render shows an all-brick design across w/no conventional lighting.
1596742586316.png

1596742649022.png

From the 2019 construction notice:

Pedestrian infrastructure: Make permanent the temporary pedestrian-only zone on Gould Street from O’Keefe Lane to Bond Street and clarify the designated zones for pedestrians, bicycles and vehicles.

Indicating some cars will be allowed from Bond to Church.

It looks great, or will look great it just looks like there is still a "roadway" that has bricks and is for pedestrians. Im not sure if im getting my point across let me know if im not.

It looks great, or will look great it just looks like there is still a "roadway" that has bricks and is for pedestrians. Im not sure if im getting my point across let me know if im not.
I know what you mean, but they have to design it this way for emergency vehicles.

Just to report the following:

I walked Nelson Mandela Way (The Ryerson campus path from Gould to Gerrard) the other day.

First observation:

For those wishing to see what an Allee looks like in Toronto, they've done one here out what seem to be elm trees.

Interesting choice.....they will grow fast, but are susceptible to Dutch Elm.

The site is dominated by 2 tree choices w/Elm lining the path, and Oaks in behind.

Design wise it looks decent; there are some risks to not being diverse in the species choices, but I think it's a reasonable risk.

The paving work, art and seating all look good.

They were just finishing the landscaping when I was going by, so it should be complete now.

I will note, a few of the trees, 3 that I counted, were in severe stress.

Personally, I would have rejected them and not allowed them to be planted. But hey, that's me.

They might make it; but I'd be betting on 3 replacement trees come next year.

Last edited:
Final touches to the lighting being completed. I see one dead tree for sure but might be a second and third one as well. New chairs and tables look great will be interesting to see how these are secured, not sure if they will be put out this year. This is just the main area and am certainly looking forward to changes coming to the more public areas along church, bond, and mutual.

IMG_1424.jpeg

IMG_1425.jpeg

IMG_1428.jpeg

IMG_1426.jpeg

IMG_1423.jpeg

IMG_1427.jpeg
IMG_1429.jpeg

IMG_1430.jpeg

IMG_1431.jpeg

IMG_1432.jpeg
IMG_1433.jpeg

I'd love to see the old street poles removed with the new lighting. Otherwise looks great. I'm hopeful dead trees get replaced soon - the Quad's trees and buses are kept quite lovely.

100% the old street lights have to go!!!

As to the trees...........for the non-oaks, (elms and/or honey-locust) they can be replaced this fall; I would say November ideally, but later this month isn't terrible.

Though they really should either get slightly smaller ones, or they shouldn't trim the roots so much.

When trees are transplanted the roots are invariably trimmed, pretty much unavoidable. But over-trimming really stresses the tree.

Imagine being a 6ft tall human, and suddenly having your digestive tract shrunk to the size of a 6 year old child.

Your body is just as big and requires just as much energy, but the mechanism for gathering that energy is severely constrained.

That's one of the key reasons to move trees when they are in their dormant phase.

They require far less energy and water, and they have time to re-grow their roots gradually.

But an 80% cut back can be pretty lethal regardless.

Oaks should wait til spring if they need replacing.

Nut and cone-bearing species both do much better planted in spring vs fall.

Last edited:
I'd love to see the old street poles removed with the new lighting. Otherwise looks great. I'm hopeful dead trees get replaced soon - the Quad's trees and buses are kept quite lovely.
I dont think the old light poles will ever be removed since it is still technically a roadway. Ive been emailing Ryerson facilities management and development team so ill ask to be sure.

Back