Toronto The Metropolitan | 113.99m | 37s | Lancer Developments

With all those churches nearbye for inspiration they could've done something fun with Gothic - akin to Philip Johnson's PPG Place maybe. Or, alternatively, they could've balanced those decorative neighbours with something understated. But - oh no - they had to give us this thing, which looks like a cross between Morrison Hall and 1 St. Thomas.

With all those churches nearbye for inspiration they could've done something fun with Gothic - akin to Philip Johnson's PPG Place maybe.

US - that's exactly how the project began (if you dig back into this thread you will see what I mean). The 2nd incarnation was PPG X 2 and silly but fun. Now it's Jazz redux.

I kind of like the idea of a lightly coloured glass clad building building in this space. Right now the area is too gloomy, as the churches are DARK. The glass will set it off from the 2 neighbouring brick churches.

I kind of like the idea of a lightly coloured glass clad building building in this space. Right now the area is too gloomy, as the churches are DARK. The glass will set it off from the 2 neighbouring brick churches.

And yet somehow, it still seems ironically banal and heavy-handed. It's as if the folk who conceived of the earlier Gothicky design were forced by shotgun to go "modern", even though their hearts weren't in it...

My excitement grows with every passing day 3D. I want to find out if my trust in your 'nouveau' design was misplaced...

Just kidding, take your time. I am interested to see what comes out of it though!

:);)

My excitement grows with every passing day 3D. I want to find out if my trust in your 'nouveau' design was misplaced...

Just kidding, take your time. I am interested to see what comes out of it though!

I'll post it today, however I suspect you'll be disappointed. I threw out almost every bit of clever modernity in favour of welcoming, contextual textures (think The Morgan, Market Square etc.) to try and create an instant sense of "place". I love it but armchair architects likely will not.

Not sure how new this is, but the sign on the building calls for a 30-storey tower (down from 37) along with a 2nd tower at 19-storeys and a 6-storey building on the corner of church and shutter... the website lancercorp.ca stills shows the older version.

any further updates on this?

from Daily Commercial News.

October 15, 2008

Toronto

Developers place planned Metropolitan apartment building on hold

Samantha Vartiamaki

RCD Research Reporter

O’Shanter Development Corp. and The Lancer Corp. have placed planning for the 36-storey Metropolitan development on hold.

Located on Shuter Street, between Church Street and Bond Street in Toronto, the development proposal includes a 336,000-square-foot, 390-unit rental apartment building atop a six-storey podium.

The building will also include 37,000 square feet of retail space and 10,000 square feet of commercial space.

Young & Wright Architects Ltd. had begun the working drawings when the project was placed on hold.

Working with Young & Wright Architects Ltd. on the designs were Jablonsky Ast & Partners (structural), Novatrend Engineering Group Ltd. (mechanical and electrical) and Quinn Design Associates (landscape).

Construction schedules will be determined by Deltera Inc. (construction managers) once the financing has been secured.

I wouldn't have thought that his project was far enough along to be placed "on hold". What are they "holding"? It wasn't in sales or anything. Anyways, this is certainly good news, if I were to choose projects to move into the on hold category this would have been right at the top of the list.

Back