Toronto MEC Queen Street (Mountain Equipment Coop) | 21.03m | 3s | Parallax | Sweeny &Co

Pics taken Feb 1, 2019

fullsizeoutput_1fec.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1fed.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1fee.jpeg

Was in MEC on King yesterday.........in the course of my time there, asked staff about a move date and plans.......

I am told staff expect to shift to the Queen St. site in April.

They also don't expect any advance closure, apparently a specialized team will move all inventory overnight,

King will close one day and Queen open the next.

I dont know what's been up with Sweeny&Co over the past couple of years, but something has clearly changed over the past 5 years. For them to be designing and commissioning things like this repeatedly is worrying.

The only contribution this building is making to the neighbourhood is putting parking underground. Presumably there’s more parking underground than the surface lot it’s replacing. We really need to start eliminating street parking on major streets, specially ones with streetcar lines. That’ll only happen if politicians can point to other parking options. This gets us a little bit closer.

Then again, imagine being the owner of these homes...

Their properties are now facing the butt end of a big box store. Values must’ve plummeted after this.

Back