Toronto MEC Queen Street (Mountain Equipment Coop) | 21.03m | 3s | Parallax | Sweeny &Co

Oh boy...

CDB4299E-2DA3-45E0-A13B-1C2F71CEEFA0.jpeg
7137DE79-3E8B-46BA-8187-F69B401BB4FB.jpeg

I hope you are correct. But honestly they lost me at that awful box store brick colour choice.

I don't understand why anyone ever picks this brick colour. It's pretty much always bad. Is it inexpensive or something? If this was red brick it would still be pretty bad but it would get away with a lot more.

Don't worry, you're not alone. Not sure why MEC didn't want to stay on King instead of going up to this site on Queen.
They made a killing selling the land on King where a 40-ish storey condo can be built, while the Queen Street site can only go to 3 storeys because of the Heritage Conservation District on that street, making that property much cheaper.

It says a lot when I'm already wondering when a yet to be completed building will be demolished for a condo.

This is a big box store on a human scale retail street. Yuck.
Stop wondering. Queen Street development here can only go a few storeys high because of the Heritage Conservation District bylaw in place. There's no demolition coming.

^ It was of course tongue in cheek. I know that this thing is here to stay. Hopefully they cover it in ivy or something.

They made a killing selling the land on King where a 40-ish storey condo can be built, while the Queen Street site can only go to 3 storeys because of the Heritage Conservation District on that street, making that property much cheaper.

I'm thinking that in the long term, it'll affect their sales. King West is a much more affluent demographic than Queen, not to mention much higher residential density. People go in because it's close by and end up spending money. Queen Street seems like more of a deliberate trip. I doubt I'll be going that often. I'll just end up ordering more of my biking, sports goods and camping supplies on Amazon.

^^^I mean, really. It's just a few blocks from the current store. And don't you want to see what this thing will look like on the inside? It may be better than King St., i.e., selection, layout, etc.

Actually, it's precisely this kind of structure you expect to be surrounded by acres of parking... suburban stylie.

Back