Toronto MEC Queen Street (Mountain Equipment Coop) | 21.03m | 3s | Parallax | Sweeny &Co

In this city, and specially in Joe Cressy’s ward, sometimes you just have to give up on waiting for city hall to do anything and do it yourself. Some guerrilla gardening might be the solution. Holes drilled in the sidewalk along the wall, deep into the soil below, with ivy planted in the holes, will do its thing unattended. Unless they’re on top of it and pull the ivy out, the whole wall will be covered in a season. Climbing vines can be pretty aggressive. My morning glories took over my patio and inadvertently, my neighbours patio, in a single summer.

I've been thinking this more and more myself - if you want anything to change in this city, do it yourself (if reasonably doable, of course).

I've been thinking this more and more myself - if you want anything to change in this city, do it yourself (if reasonably doable, of course).

Some hard hats and vests, some orange spray paint, a clipboard and a concrete disc saw and we're in and out. Later, drop off some soil, plant a row of climbing ivy and walk away leaving everyone thinking someone else ordered it. Then admire as the ivy covers up this horrendous building.

Some hard hats and vests, some orange spray paint, a clipboard and a concrete disc saw and we're in and out. Later, drop off some soil, plant a row of climbing ivy and walk away leaving everyone thinking someone else ordered it. Then admire as the ivy covers up this horrendous building.
I am a big advocate for guerrilla gardening and placemaking. Paint, plants, furniture -- all fair game to me. I hope this comment is unnecessary, but definitely don't drill anything underground without locates, no matter how shallow. It's all fun and games until you hit a gas main.

I am a big advocate for guerrilla gardening and placemaking. Paint, plants, furniture -- all fair game to me. I hope this comment is unnecessary, but definitely don't drill anything underground without locates, no matter how shallow. It's all fun and games until you hit a gas main.

This is a pretty good point. I'm going to have to go back in my photos and see the construction. Seeing how this sidewalk doesn't look like poured concrete, and instead concrete tiles, I'm fairly certain they're laying on top of silva cells.

I don't think anyone should be cutting into public property without a permit to forcibly change the facade of private property without their consent.

Forget the design, it's an outrage that a "building" of this height is sitting right next to the core of the country's financial hub. Then the lazy bureaucrats wonder why we have a housing shortage. This style could have solved it all, but alas we remain a "city" with a heart of a suburb.
Puck_Building.jpg

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puck_Building#/media/File:Puck_Building.jpg

Since this thread has been bumped to trash this building even more...I'm not sure how one would make this more interesting and attractive, outside of it placing the whole facility in a geodesic dome. It's big box store after all, not unlike Honest Ed's was for all those years - and that was wrapped around with in big flashy sign you could see from standing on the Moon. So by nature of being a big box to my understanding, I don't think it can be made much prettier.

...as a one who has used this store previously though, I'm just glad they didn't relocate it to North York'beria.

Since this thread has been bumped to trash this building even more...I'm not sure how one would make this more interesting and attractive, outside of it placing the whole facility in a geodesic dome. It's big box store after all, not unlike Honest Ed's was for all those years - and that was wrapped around with in big flashy sign you could see from standing on the Moon. So by nature of being a big box to my understanding, I don't think it can be made much prettier.

...as a one who has used this store previously though, I'm just glad they didn't relocate it to North York'beria.

There is already one in North York at Bessarion Subway Station.

There is already one in North York at Bessarion Subway Station.
I had no idea this had franchised. Thank you!

Also for the record, I think this building is ugly and out of touch with the community surrounding it. My point is, how can one make a big box pretty and intouch? I don't think it can be done. :(

Back