Toronto MEC Queen Street (Mountain Equipment Coop) | 21.03m | 3s | Parallax | Sweeny &Co

It seems fairly consistent with the rendering, except for the street level stonework.
The random assymmetry in the window bays is annoying.
The colour palette is better on the rendering (It was probably changed to be more like other brick in the area)

From the planning site

L4pfDoU.jpg

Pics taken Mar 13, 2019

View attachment 176410

Sorry, off topic, but how do I respond with a sad or angry face like I see some other users doing? Cause this deserves both.
If you're asking about the faces showing up beside the Likes, not inline emojis, you can respond with one of the faces by hovering your cursor over the Like link: you'll see the options in a pop-up for you to click on.

I actually didn't realize where this was until I passed by it on the TTC in person last weekend. What an eyesore! It doesn't fit into the streetscape at all and sticks out like a sore thumb.

I thought you guys were exaggerating, but unfortunately not...

Everyone involved in this disaster should be thoroughly ashamed with themselves. This building site which lay fallow for generations and promised so much has delivered an outcome far worse than anyone could or would want to imagine. Frankly, I don't understand how something so subpar could end up desecrating such a prominent and supposedly protected streetscape. I'm almost at a loss for words to express my shock and disgust.

The longer I've lived away from the city the more obvious it's become to me that it's fallen utterly into the hands of political hacks and beancounters. In the current leadership vacuum It seems that any kind of civic pride, vision or character that once existed has been swept away by the almighty bottom line. Everything now is purely transactional, all other priorities rescinded. The most galling thing of all is the lack of outrage over this and countless other abominations that have sprung up everywhere in the past decade and a half.

Sorry for the rant, it's just that this utter lack of care saddens me completely. I used to have so much hope for the city and now it's evaporated. Every visit leaves me more depressed.

Honestly, it's not THAT bad
For Markham, sure, but this is Toronto. This build should have NEVER been approved. It belongs in the middle of a 5 acre parking lot in the burbs - not in the core of Canada's largest city.

I honestly enjoyed the shopping experience at MEC, but I will make a point of shopping for my camping supplies online first. Sound dramatic, but I honestly think any experience would be better than walking through these doors - supporting this Queen St streetscape disaster (which sets the presence for future mediocre suburban experiences DT).

For Markham, sure, but this is Toronto. This build should have NEVER been approved. It belongs in the middle of a 5 acre parking lot in the burbs - not in the core of Canada's largest city.

I honestly enjoyed the shopping experience at MEC, but I will make a point of shopping for my camping supplies online first. Sound dramatic, but I honestly think any experience would be better than walking through these doors - supporting this Queen St streetscape disaster (which sets the presence for future mediocre suburban experiences DT).

Honestly I think it's even subpar for Markham. Sloppy, messy, uninspired, lifeless.

What an embarrassment. Everyone involved, the developer, the architect, and MEC, should be ashamed of this result. Cheap and ugly materials, terrible urbanism, an utterly lifeless and soul-sucking building plopped down right in the middle of a lively retail street. This wouldn't be acceptable for MEC to build in Milton, never mind downtown Toronto. What were they thinking.

I just keep going back to that enormous vent placed right at pedestrian level facing one of the most popular patios in Toronto, and the nearly windowless wall surrounding it, and the cheap, pasted-on suburban fieldstone on either side. And those dull grey panels around the entrance. The whole thing is a fractal of cheap, hideous, anti-urban banality. MEC is lost if they think this building represents their brand.

Last edited:

Back