Toronto MEC Queen Street (Mountain Equipment Coop) | 21.03m | 3s | Parallax | Sweeny &Co

I've always envisioned this as a park/square (to be named Soho Square) or a market in the vein of Camden Market. I don't know why London springs to mind when I think of that parking lot, but it always does.

I've always envisioned this as a park/square (to be named Soho Square) or a market in the vein of Camden Market. I don't know why London springs to mind when I think of that parking lot, but it always does.

You're not the only one, I even contacted some fellow forum members to start working on a proposal. However, my plan required one element... a local BIA to work with. Amazingly, there isn't one of Queen West.

It really has amazing potential as a square for vendors and simply hanging out. Personally, I would keep the name "Soho Square" and name the fountain (or other focus of the square) after Bob Hunter.

Wouldn't your plan also require another element--the cooperation of the owner of the property? Somehow I can't see them giving up their cash cow parking lot for a square. Given the relative negelect of the place I doubt they'd care about fixing it up just to clean up that part of Queen Street.

I agree with the above post. Unless this land is bought by the city, it will never be a public space.

Uhhh...Dundas Square was bought by the city (appropriated actually). If it wasn't bought, it would still be a private and commercial property.

So, is there some 3rd party organization/company that oversees the square? For some reason I thought that it was considered private property available to the public.

Somehow I can't see them giving up their cash cow parking lot for a square.

Everybody has a price. Queen street lacks green space from University to Trinity Bellwoods Park.

As for this area not having a BIA it does seem a bit odd seeing that Queen West (West) Bathurst to Gladstone have one.

Queen street lacks green space from University to Trinity Bellwoods Park.QUOTE]

That's partly why it works as a shopping street, but even still, the suggestions above seem to be leaning more towards a square/market which wouldn't provide much green space.
With respect to Dundas Square, it is completely contained by streets, allowing buildings on all sides to front it. In this case there's a building along one side of it--and not a very nice one, mainly covered in ads. The 'Soho Square' dream would have to include redeveloping it too.

Back