Toronto ME Living Condos | 108.83m | 34s | Lash Group | Turner Fleischer

I agree with Silence and Motion. This isn't "pedestrian friendly". This is a self-contained, automobile-oriented high density, masterplanned condo project that is built with complete disregard for the surrounding area and users others than its own residents.

It's basically Dubai in the snow.

Come on, that's so harsh. It adds density to a site right on one TTC line, and a short walk to a second one. It puts retail at ground level on Markham Road. It drops in height towards the single family homes to the east. It provides a publicly accessible park and wintertime skating rink. What's so horrible about those things? Sure it still accommodates the car, but at Markham and Ellesmere, could it do otherwise?

TTC riders from this development will use the ellesmere bus to get to STC. (and eventually the subway stop there) There will be bus lanes on Ellesmere eventually as well if the transit taxes pass, for Durham Pulse, but I see no reason why the TTC can't use them either.

Come on, that's so harsh. It adds density to a site right on one TTC line, and a short walk to a second one. It puts retail at ground level on Markham Road. It drops in height towards the single family homes to the east. It provides a publicly accessible park and wintertime skating rink. What's so horrible about those things? Sure it still accommodates the car, but at Markham and Ellesmere, could it do otherwise?

The automobile-orientation is not my main beef. I don't expect it to do otherwise, either.

I just think that, given the midblock, suburban, low income surroundings - one of the bleakest in Toronto - this development can't wind up being anything but a self contained fortress that residents enter and leave, but have no contact with the surrounding area. I like density as much as the next person, but I highly doubt that this will revitalize, urbanize or have any positive effect on the existing community. I fully expect that retail space to remain vacant for the foreseeable future.

The park is a nice touch, but it feels like a private feature of the development rather than an amenity for the surrounding public.

But instead of complaining, might I suggest what would have been a more sensitive alternative?

Lash developments gets Section 37 leverage by allowing a community centre or library to occupy the retail spot (since the retail spot won't get leased out, anyway), punches a hole in the western facade to break up the monolithic block along Markham road and allow pedestrian access to Meadowglen, and maybe gets a smaller format grocery store - like a Metro or urban Sobeys - to take up the area used by the park. In compensation, they get to build up to 32 storeys.

you admit that there is no market for the stores, but then go on to suggest a grocery store?

There is no market for small format, high rent streetfront stores. Nobody will boutique shop on Markham Road, south of Ellesmere. There's probably more of a market for large(r) format grocery stores that caters to the existing community.

for what it's worth, that's what the sales rep says they are intending to do - rent out the commercial space to larger AAA tenant.

There is no market for small format, high rent streetfront stores. Nobody will boutique shop on Markham Road, south of Ellesmere. There's probably more of a market for large(r) format grocery stores that caters to the existing community.

Four more floors are being added to each of the two taller towers here, so the thread title is changing to reflect the new 28-storey count. The units are being released now, dubbed Sky Suites. The top two new floors will have 12 foot ceilings. You don't get that everywhere. Front page story here.

Talked to the owner of Real McCoys back in the summer about the project, and what impact it would have on the plaza, he said originally none, but apparently the developers of this project made the plaza owner an offer they couldn't refuse, and the plaza will eventually be razed and incorporated into the development.

This is for "Phase 4" of the development.

1021-1035 MARKHAM RD
Ward 38 - Scarborough District

►View All Properties

The zoning by-law amendment and site plan approval propose to redevelop the current retail plaza site with a 39-storey mixed use development consisting of a 6-storey podium including 2,197.7 m2 of at-grade retail uses and 380 apartment units overall (229 x 1-bedroom, 151 x 2-bedroom). The proposed site density (f.s.i) would be 10.89 times the site area.

Proposed Use --- # of Storeys --- # of Units ---

Renderings of the complete development:
upload_2017-1-3_14-56-44.png

upload_2017-1-3_14-57-28.png

upload_2017-1-3_14-58-19.png

upload_2017-1-3_14-58-41.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-1-3_14-56-44.png
    upload_2017-1-3_14-56-44.png
    732.6 KB · Views: 763
  • upload_2017-1-3_14-57-28.png
    upload_2017-1-3_14-57-28.png