Toronto Max Condos | 113.99m | 36s | Tribute | Graziani + Corazza

Very well attended public open house last night. Primary concern is the boxing in of 192 Jarvis from sunlight by this project combined with the Ryerson residence. Other comments included the uselessness of the parkette proposed (in an area that doesn't really need more park space - a rarity downtown), the size and massing of the building, rental replacement concerns...

Yup, Ryerson is most definitely a commuter school. That aspect defines campus life at Ryerson. Projects like these would definitely help change that label.

IMG_9806.JPG
Work on Mutual Street has started; the parking lot is closed. Workers were demolishing the attendant's booth. I do not know if this is to allow better construction access to 186-188 Jarvis, but I suspect it might be the case, as 77 Mutual, that small, low-income rental building is still occupied.

Attachments

• IMG_9806.JPG
    IMG_9806.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 2,273
This proposal for 75 through 83 Mutual has been appealed to the OMB, but no hearings are scheduled yet.

This was roughly one of my (and a few community members) suggestions at the public information meeting. Of course, it might be a moot point now that the other tower has been proposed south of this one.

I'd like to see a move away from glass window wall and glazed balconies: yawn. Since G+C/P+S copy trends about a decade after they're started by more forward-looking firms like Teeple/RAW/etc, I expect to be bored by their crappy interpretations of the 60/40 style c.2025.:p

The 2030s will bring a neo-BRUT revival coinciding with a neo-Colonial Victorian (gingerbread/frills/etc) revival.

I'd welcome a neo-brutalist revival mixed with modern podiums that meet the street well.

Brutalism was terrible for pedestrian experience, let's not repeat that aspect of it.

Overlooking the site of 81 Mutual. Are we seeing the back of a presentation centre going in at the bottom centre?

IMG_9154.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_9154.jpg
    IMG_9154.jpg
    397.3 KB · Views: 1,123
No, that's the construction office for the Ryerson Building going in on Jarvis Street. They've taken over the parking lot that will later be part of the 81 Mutual site. The small 22-unit apartment building next door, 77 Mutual (which will be demolished if 81 Mutual is built), is still occupied.

Back