Toronto Maverick | 154.53m | 49s | Empire | Arcadis

Also another on Buzz Buzz Home that I don't think I'd seen before:

Small signs of progress, but with a caveat - (last photo below)

York Demolition appears to have the contract to handle the demolition requirements. All the store (restaurant) fronts now
have demolition signs in their windows:

IMG_20191021_095928.jpg

IMG_20191021_100004.jpg

IMG_20191021_100022.jpg

The caveat: The lane behind the buildings is blocked off and excavation has started for the installation of Enwave District Heating and Cooling services - the laneway excavation, pipe installation, and recovering is to go from the edge of the King Blue property in the west, to John Street in front of Metro Hall. The actual demolition of the existing properties on the Maverick site may not start until the laneway excavation and reconstruction is complete.

IMG_20191021_100723.jpg

Demolition for The Maverick has started. Notwithstanding the lack of access from the rear laneway, which was still blocked off when these pictures were taken, work is proceeding from the front of the buildings. The King Street sidewalk has been closed in front of all the restaurants that are now closed for this development.

IMG_20191028_175241.jpg

IMG_20191029_135405.jpg

Feel like this area is in constant construction. I guess that's a good thing. Just sucks when you are in the middle of it every day.

Restaurant Row is dead.

Not quite. All of the street level properties are expected to be returned as restaurants.

Nothing of real value was lost anyway. Z-Teca was a decent Mexican fast food joint, but nothing that isn't replicated a dozen times nearby. Fred's Not Here was notoriously bad. It was a tourist trap with inconsistent food. Service was poor too, likely given the rumour that Fred took a cut from their tips and was hard on the staff. Red Tomato operated as a separate restaurant but shared both the kitchen and the staff. I went there once back in the early 2000s, waited 20 minutes for a waiter to take our order, saw them rushing around stressed out and realized I wasn't going to get proper service so we left. I've read recent reviews showing that that remained the same.

I'm positive that restaurants will open here once the building is completed. This is a tourist area, across from the TIFF Bell Lightbox and the Hyatt Hotel and near the theatres. Restaurants are the natural business choice for this stretch which is why it's been consistently restaurants for decades.

Back