Toronto Massey Tower Condos | 206.95m | 60s | MOD Developments | Hariri Pontarini

Obviously MOD deserves massive kudos for both the restoration work they've undertaken here and for hiring a top firm for the new bits, so this is a minor quibble, but have contemporary black chandeliers ever not looked trashy?
It's very "Teenage Girl's Bedroom".

Cecconi Simone often do these overly-trendy designs in many of their condo projects, but their later condo interior designs looks to have taken a more restrained and tasteful approach.
Massey Tower was designed almost 9 years ago so it looks especially questionable and borderline tacky today.
They designed the model suite to be white on white (it was VERY white) with red accents and accessories. It was very dramatic and not at all practical, but was done more for show. It reminds me of watching these dreaded home decorating shows on HGTV that was filmed at least 10 years ago.
One Bloor (interior also designed by Cecconi Simone) also suffered this fate. The common areas off the lobby looks like a sporting goods store, bright blue panels behind white panels with trendy random organically shaped cut outs. It looks pretty juvenile and lacking in sophistication and will certainly look dated in no time.

That's the problem with larger condo developments that are built so long out in the future. Design and aesthetics quickly become dated especially if they were designed with the latest trends at the moment -- I wished more condos were designed in a more tasteful and timeless way, or have the interior design of the amenities and common areas revised/updated closer towards completion but still respecting the theme/concept of the original design.

4A618EC9-F9D4-47D5-B039-B9E3E165795F.jpg

Cecconi Simone often do these overly-trendy designs in many of their condo projects, but their later condo interior designs looks to have taken a more restrained and tasteful approach.
Massey Tower was designed almost 9 years ago so it looks especially questionable and borderline tacky today...

I'd have to disagree in regards to the heritage spaces in the former bank. Cecconi Simone created appropriate interiors that are neither slavishly retro nor jarringly modern. The design language is kind of "Contemporary-Edwardian" and I think it looks great.

Back