Toronto Massey Tower Condos | 206.95m | 60s | MOD Developments | Hariri Pontarini

^ Boy the Easter Bunny took a poo in some forum members' chocolate egg nest. Guess we need a "hurt feelings" thread (I'll post there).

I got a chocolate bunny (albeit half eaten) so on the brighter side:

1. There's some pretty good stuff on the way
2. There's some pretty good stuff built - I like ICE (especially with vodka), I like the Ritz (admit there was some material disappointment), I like Shang, I like 1 Bloor East, EY, Selby, The Morgan, Harbour Plaza twins are rather good and 3 sides of Massey Tower etc.
3. Now don't be an ageist... if you weren't born yet ... but I really like our early "modern" base stock: TD towers, CIBC, BMO + makeover, Royal Bank Plaza-still the best 40 year old skyscraper(s) anywhere, Ontario Place (still have Cinesphere and Pods for a few months) and, god forbid... I still like the CN Tower... in the dark... with lights (really wish a concrete supplier would "chip in" to resurface this pocked edifice... we seem to have a bunch of concrete suppliers for some reason)

There's a bunch of other stuff but I realize too many words doesn't always fly. Did I mention the chocolate bunny?

we come here to express/discuss our opinions about the architecture in the city. isn't it one of the purposes of UrbanToronto.

+ I also agree with you somewhat, people compare Toronto with NYC a lot(ive done it too in the past). we need to understand that Toronto is building way more than bigger economies like Chicago and NYC. NYC has a GDP of almost $1.7 Trillion and Toronto is $400+ billion. we are lucky to see such boom in Toronto. Peace

The problem is people can’t handle any critique of their city. Some of us strive for more for people and from ourselves. Others are just happy to be here.

As far as comparing Toronto to New York City, some do that but I never do. Two completely different cities. But you don’t need money to build a building with some bloody imagination. That seems to be lost on people.

But hey more green and blue boxes please!

4124A2A1-FF38-48BD-A319-7490DA5F1B69.jpeg

The problem is people can’t handle any critique of their city. Some of us strive for more for people and from ourselves. Others are just happy to be here.

As far as comparing Toronto to New York City, some do that but I never do. Two completely different cities. But you don’t need money to build a building with some bloody imagination. That seems to be lost on people.

I know this is going way off-topic but I have to jump in one more time just because it seems you're totally misrepresenting my point.

There are plenty of awful buildings going up in Toronto and if you examine my posting history, I have never been shy about criticizing them. In fact, I think it's essential to criticize bad buildings and bad urbanism, of which there is no shortage in Toronto, because good architectural criticism helps to build architectural literacy and develop a shared understanding of what we really want as a city. So don't even try to claim that I "can't handle critique". That's not what this is about.

The point is that there is difference between constructive critique and vague whining. Constructive critique is saying: "I find the north face of Massey Tower to be bland and uninspired compared to the other three facades". Constructive critique is saying: "this cladding really should have used any colour other than grey" or "I find the materials lacking" or "why the hell did they have to ruin the clean facade with those vent openings". These opinions, regardless of whether you agree with them, actually add something to the discussion.

Saying "Toronto is as bland as melba toast" brings nothing to the discussion. It's the epitome of laziness. No new information, no new ideas, nothing, just the same worn-out complaint that's been posted a hundred times before. (Also, it's just plain wrong, but I have no desire to argue about that right now.)

I know this is going way off-topic but I have to jump in one more time just because it seems you're totally misrepresenting my point.

There are plenty of awful buildings going up in Toronto and if you examine my posting history, I have never been shy about criticizing them. In fact, I think it's essential to criticize bad buildings and bad urbanism, of which there is no shortage in Toronto, because good architectural criticism helps to build architectural literacy and develop a shared understanding of what we really want as a city. So don't even try to claim that I "can't handle critique". That's not what this is about.

The point is that there is difference between constructive critique and vague whining. Constructive critique is saying: "I find the north face of Massey Tower to be bland and uninspired compared to the other three facades". Constructive critique is saying: "this cladding really should have used any colour other than grey" or "I find the materials lacking" or "why the hell did they have to ruin the clean facade with those vent openings". These opinions, regardless of whether you agree with them, actually add something to the discussion.

Saying "Toronto is as bland as melba toast" brings nothing to the discussion. It's the epitome of laziness. No new information, no new ideas, nothing, just the same worn-out complaint that's been posted a hundred times before. (Also, it's just plain wrong, but I have no desire to argue about that right now.)

Whining about whining. I don’t owe you an explanation for why I think the architecture here is bland. Pretty self explanatory, just like I don’t require a lengthy explanation why the base of YC condos looks like crap. Time to move on.

I get bored withToronto bashing on here as well. However I do agree that many of the new buildings going up are not interesting. What causes this? I don’t know? What does make this a great place to live is the people. The architecture may be good bad or awful. Just like some of the people on here ;-)

Totally agree... I have a pile of recycling but the city won't send blue or green boxes to deal with this mess..Oh.. maybe u were referencing disappointment other than recycling* .

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to seeing more images that show the transition between this beautiful building and the tower.
Mee too....off topic, i know it's not part of the development, but i'd like to know whats going on with the other vacant gorgeous building next door?
199 yonge.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:

Back