Toronto Massey Tower Condos | 206.95m | 60s | MOD Developments | Hariri Pontarini

Calm down.

"What more could MOD have done?"

Extend the balcony wrap to the north side.
This has already come up a couple of times in this thread, but it was not possible as the tower abuts the St. Michael's flight path and any protrusions to the north would have come out of the already fairly small floor plate. It's an extremely challenging, highly constrained site.

Black spandrel almost always looks terrible.

I did a quick photoshop of a good up-close photo by @skycandy (hope you don't mind me using your pic) of what different spandrel could look like:

massey_one.png

massey_two.png

This has already come up a couple of times in this thread, but it was not possible as the tower abuts the St. Michael's flight path and any protrusions to the north would have come out of the already fairly small floor plate. It's an extremely challenging, highly constrained site.
Thanks for the clarification.

It doesn't have to come out of those unit's small floor plate exclusively. The entire floor (or every unit) could've been adjusted so they had balconies on the other two sides.

It doesn't have to come out of those unit's small floor plate exclusively. The entire floor (or every unit) could've been adjusted so they had balconies on the other two sides.

Personally I don't mind the idea of a curtain window wall, 'balcony-less' side for this building. Interior wise, I think it's more impactful - looking at a stunning view through floor to ceiling windows, without the barrier of a balcony. What I have an issue with is the design of the north face. Instead of leveraging colour, or an interesting texture, they purposely used dull dark grey with similar dark windows from top to bottom. Creating a massive boring slab. Feels like a wasted opportunity, more so knowing the predominance of this building from YDS.

Back