Toronto Massey Tower Condos | 206.95m | 60s | MOD Developments | Hariri Pontarini

Oh, hi spandrel!

There's a huge transfer slab behind that spandrel. It's not being thrown about willy nilly here...

It's not back-painted glass, it seems totally flat (no pillowing like at Alter), and we seem to be looking at curtain wall on the north side. Win win win.

It is indeed sprinklered curtain wall on the north side.

I actually don't like the glass. I get why it had to be changed but too bad we couldn't get the same system that One Bloor uses. Granted the building would end up taking almost 10 years to finish.

It's not so much how long it would have taken to install, it's the supply chain issues required to get it there. There is only one supplier who does the kind of curved glass which is being used on One Bloor and there have been significant issues with them. So much so that new brackets had to be engineered and produced locally as the ones which accompany the system failed in our diverse climate.

I'm surprised that a lot of people on this forum like the spandrel being installed here.

IMG_20170714_182730.jpg

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=209014&page=191

Last edited:
It looked much better than that when I saw it in person, but still not ideal. That combined with the jagged non-curved balcony glass is disappointing. This building is at risk of falling from my personal #1 currently in development to #2 after Monde.

What's with the grey panel looking facade . All that work to form the floor plates then to finish it off with a military grey look! I thought the facade was going to be a cream colored image as seen on the rendering.

What's with the grey panel looking facade . All that work to form the floor plates then to finish it off with a military grey look! I thought the facade was going to be a cream colored image as seen on the rendering.

Looks as promised. The north facade was always going to be different, as there are no balconies and no cream coloured balcony glazing to give it that distinct appearance. Most the renders focused on one perspective of the building, facing Yonge Street, which is why some feel mislead. The model didn't hide this. Personally, I'm not worried.

See here:
masseytowerscalemodel-682x1024.jpg

Source: http://d3exkutavo4sli.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/masseytowerscalemodel-682x1024.jpg

Surely something will be built aside this at some point so I'm not worried as the other sides east south and west are the better feature imo

I can't believe they aren't doing the balconies on every side. It'll look like just another tower from Dundas Sq :/

I've always found this was interesting as well. From a design perspective, I would have expected the sides to be flipped, with the expressive balconies + cladding facing Yonge St. to the north and Dundas Square, where it has a nearly unobstructed sight line and more overall exposure.

Back