Toronto Massey Tower Condos | 206.95m | 60s | MOD Developments | Hariri Pontarini

It's not hard to thrive when you're located on a major pedestrian thoroughfare through downtown. Those businesses essentially have a captive market.

Not really a captive market. There are a lot of food and retail options off Yonge (or under Yonge when one considers the PATH), particularly south of Gerrard and then again towards Bloor. Noncompetitive/unappealing businesses can, and do, go belly up because people have choices, and are for the most part not even tied to Yonge.

There are a number of pedestrian friendly thoroughfares in the central city where businesses struggle and/or are largely marginal. A busy streets with retail spaces along the sidewalk is not necessarily in and of itself a recipe for success.

There is also a difference between "thriving" and making money. We can't assume that a thriving retail business in a busy and dynamic retail location is making any profit anywhere in the world just by looking at the number of people buying goods or occupying the store. There is a constant dynamic interplay between the store or restaurant making profit, the rent that is charged by the landlord, and the cost of operating the building imposed by forces such as government taxation or regulation.

There is also a difference between "thriving" and making money. We can't assume that a thriving retail business in a busy and dynamic retail location is making any profit anywhere in the world just by looking at the number of people buying goods or occupying the store. There is a constant dynamic interplay between the store or restaurant making profit, the rent that is charged by the landlord, and the cost of operating the building imposed by forces such as government taxation or regulation.

Yeah, agreed, but I think that's beside the point. I don't think the reference to by Alex thriving businesses was a comment specifically on the balance sheets of each and every business along this stretch. Instead, it was merely one response to the suggestion that the entire stretch is "dumpy and bleak and pedestrian unfriendly" by pointing out, I presume, that the storefronts are almost all tenanted and seem to be busy. I wasn't, and I don't think anyone else was, making pronouncements on the economic health of the various businesses beyond that.

But, yes, you are correct that one cannot assume that the businesses along Yonge are all successful merely because they mostly seem busy.

One can actually argue Yonge Street in this location and further south is actually in rather poor shape. Mattress stores at King and Yonge are hardly the type of retail you'd find in booming retail areas. Blame the Eaton Centre and Path for sucking the vitality off of Yonge.

From today. From the back.

IMG_3356.JPG
IMG_3353.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3356.JPG
    IMG_3356.JPG
    192.9 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_3353.JPG
    IMG_3353.JPG
    387 KB · Views: 277
Thanks for the photos people!

Does anyone know what they will do with the north wall of the old bank building? It's difficult to tell from the rendering but it looks like there will be a small glass atrium, though it doesn't look large enough to cover the whole thing.

I haven't been actively posting on the site for a long time now, but I do still follow along.

Yesterday I met up with a buddy to do some street photography and stopped by Massey Hall to check out progress. While walking by one of the guys on site yelled out for me to snap a pic. I took a few and told them to come check out this forum so they could see. So if you're that guy in the middle, let me know that you saw it :)

I just now had the chance to get the pics off my camera. This is a small version but I have a large one so DM me.
Massey Hall Guys-01-1015x1578.jpeg

Cheers all.

Attachments

• Massey Hall Guys-01-1015x1578.jpeg
    Massey Hall Guys-01-1015x1578.jpeg
    733.9 KB · Views: 267

Back