Toronto Massey Hall Revitalization at the Allied Music Centre | 48.46m | 7s | KPMB

I was hoping they were just getting restored and put back up. I'm in the crowd that thinks fire escapes add character to some buildings.
I agree if it's designed with fire escapes. But Massey was retro-fit; in a way that covered up so much of what is a classic facade. The stepped windows; the original signage... All hidden by the cheapest way to offer safety.

20130730card.jpg

I agree if it's designed with fire escapes. But Massey was retro-fit; in a way that covered up so much of what is a classic facade. The stepped windows; the original signage... All hidden by the cheapest way to offer safety.

20130730card.jpg
Speaking of fire safety, I'd sure love to see those giant chimneys return one day. Toronto is lacking in historical chimneys.

Speaking of fire safety, I'd sure love to see those giant chimneys return one day. Toronto is lacking in historical chimneys.

I'd love to see them restore the centre row of stained glass just above the Massey Music Hall frieze - instead of leaving the openings bricked in. It would lighten up the clumsy facade a bit more.

AoD

I'd love to see them restore the centre row of stained glass just above the Massey Music Hall frieze - instead of leaving the openings bricked in. It would lighten up the clumsy facade a bit more.

AoD
Some of the renders show the windows restored (but with a gawd-awful glass canopy); Anyone know which is the most current?

The glass canopy (dodged bullet) render is definitely old - the image in the database is current.

AoD
There is a set of images in the database and when one clicks through it some are of the 'canopy version' and some (all?) of these show the middle windows restored to being glass. The canopy may well have gone (good!) but (some of) the renders in database still show it. It would be good to see the windows restored but i am not sure what will now be 'inside them".

There is a set of images in the database and when one clicks through it some are of the 'canopy version' and some (all?) of these show the middle windows restored to being glass. The canopy may well have gone (good!) but (some of) the renders in database still show it. It would be good to see the windows restored but i am not sure what will now be 'inside them".

I should have said first image. Looking at the HIS plans - if I got it correctly it is where the balcony 1 servery and coat check is located.

AoD

The windows directly above the MASSEY MUSIC HALL frieze (which will be restored) are going to remain bricked up. All other windows are being restored other than the ones being turned into doors to access the new glassed-in passerelles.

It's too bad nothing will be done with the pediment, at least according to the renderings. It looks like something used to be there, but it's hard to tell.

Though I suspect this 2013 City report was linked to early in this thread; it is probably worth re-reading now (though some details, like the canopy) have now gone. Lots of great architectural history in last section. https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2013/pb/bgrd/backgroundfile-57665.pdf

EDIT: I looked back and the Report is linked to in first post in thread - and was actually posted by me! :->

The initial construction of Massey Hall was financed by Hart Massey of Massey-Harris (later Massey Ferguson). See link.

Since 1962, Massey Ferguson has been the world's leading tractor brand. Currently, there are more Massey Ferguson tractors than any other, worldwide. See link. The bad news is that it is now headquartered in Duluth, Georgia, USA.

Back