Toronto Massey Hall Revitalization at the Allied Music Centre | 48.46m | 7s | KPMB

I'm not certain where in the building this one is… one of the floors in the new south tower, or down in the basement?

norm-li-toronto-rendering-kpmb-architects-massey-hall-7.jpg

Attachments

• norm-li-toronto-rendering-kpmb-architects-massey-hall-7.jpg
    norm-li-toronto-rendering-kpmb-architects-massey-hall-7.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 799

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-31_10-33-48.png
    upload_2017-10-31_10-33-48.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 627
The mystery of Bach and Beethoven. Interesting. It would be cool if they did turn up.
I find myself looking forward to this project more than any other.

Though honestly I am not too sentimental about it - it can be replicated. The idea is more important than the object.

AoD

Reactions: DSC
Though honestly I am not too sentimental about it - it can be replicated. The idea is more important than the object.

AoD

I am not sure that it is "sentimentality" to want the originals to be restored. You're right that it isn't the end of the world that they have gone missing - they can surely be replicated. But they would be better if they were all originals - heritage restoration is about both the objects and what they represent. And, frankly, it would be even more interesting if the two missing ones pop up somewhere and can be restored with the others. I like those kinds of stories.

I am not sure that it is "sentimentality" to want the originals to be restored. You're right that it isn't the end of the world that they have gone missing - they can surely be replicated. But they would be better if they were all originals - heritage restoration is about both the objects and what they represent. And, frankly, it would be even more interesting if the two missing ones pop up somewhere and can be restored with the others. I like those kinds of stories.

Of course it is sentimentality - we often imbue value to objects that otherwise carry little unique worth or information on its own. I agree the original would be the best, but what I am saying is it is far from the end of the world that they are lost (as curious as that loss maybe). I am just glad that they have photographic records that can allow a reasonable facsimile to be made - the intrinsic value in this case is the extant information on the design and how the original design of the stained glass complements the hall - and not so much so the object itself.

AoD

Last edited:
Of course it is sentimentality - we often imbue value to objects that otherwise carry little unique worth or information on its own. I agree the original would be the best, but what I am saying is it is far from the end of the world that they are lost (as curious as that loss maybe). I am just glad that they have photographic records that can allow a reasonable facsimile to be made - the intrinsic value in this case is the extant information on the design and how the original design of the stained glass complements the hall - and not so much so the object itself.

AoD

I disagree with your premise. Of course the windows have unique worth - commissioned as part of the construction of the hall, and part of a series of a dozen windows unveiled at the opening 124 years ago (which the article you posted refers to as "spectacular"). They're part of the original building, and with the other windows form part of its story and evolution. It's not just sentimentality to think that there is value in the heritage fabric of Massey Hall, and these windows are most assuredly part of the heritage fabric. Heritage conservation is more than just being able to reproduce copies of the heritage resources. As I said already, I agree that it would not be the end of the world if they were not recovered. But how fantastic if they were. I think it's bizarre to insist that it's mere sentimentality to prefer installing the original windows over recreations as part of a heritage restoration and revitalization project.

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-30_22-34-36.png
    upload_2018-4-30_22-34-36.png
    290.4 KB · Views: 600
  • upload_2018-4-30_22-37-3.png
    upload_2018-4-30_22-37-3.png
    95.7 KB · Views: 598
  • upload_2018-4-30_22-55-20.png
    upload_2018-4-30_22-55-20.png
    482 KB · Views: 609
  • upload_2018-4-30_23-0-45.png
    upload_2018-4-30_23-0-45.png