Toronto Market Wharf | 110.33m | 33s | Context Development | a—A

I don't think the foundation was the hardest part since they just used pilons. I have a place on the 4th floor of the podium. Last week I asked about putting radiant heating under the tiled floors and was told that the tiles were already down. I also noticed when I drove by yesterday that the drywall is already up on the first couple of floors - couldn't see the top floors.

Is that "radiant heating under the tiled floor" an option for the buyers? like an upgrade? what's the price of that?

I don't think the foundation was the hardest part since they just used pilons.

This isn't a standard build and there are a number of risks that I would monitor as a purchaser to make sure you don't have problems down the road.

Why do you think they didn't simply excavate this site like they do most condo buildings? The reason is the site is contaminated and built on reclaimed land. If you look at photos in the Then & Now thread in the Photos section you can see this area completely underwater. That is now the land supporting your building. As a result, they couldn't use standard soldier piles and excavate the property. Instead they used a combination of wet boring techniques, involving rebar cages, and pumping wet cement into the holes as they were digging. This is an expensive, time consuming and messy technique. Imagine digging a hole, and it immediately fills with water, then the sides cave in. That is what happened here and the reason for the drilling technique. Otherwise, the building would become the next leaning tower.

That was the hard part of this build. Everything else is standard. Having finished the boring in August, they should have been further along by now. I know 1st floors take longer - but what other building has taken 5 months to do so?

JG

It's a fairly complicated floor plan up until the 7th floor or so as a result of the railway setback requirements (residential units aren't allowed within a 30 by 30 metre triangular area from the property line), so the delay is likely at least in part a consequence of this and, like you said, issues with laying the foundation.

It's amusing how factually inaccurate some posts are on here. We bought a unit here as we are repeat Context buyers. You can view construction update photos on the market wharf website and as of October (see attached pic from October construction update) there was still excavation going on where the tower will sit so I'm not sure what you are talking about re foundation work being complete in August...especially since this was still a parking lot in the beginning of the Summer. Additionally Context is the construction company with the services of Bluescape Construction Management assisting them which means that all of the trades and consultants were hired by Context and there is no general contractor on the job. Context had no role in the Bloor Street project, nor apparently did any of the trades currently working at Market Wharf. Bluescape Construction Management was hired by the Bloor Street Businesses Group to act as there advisor and representative with the city and the company that ultimately did the work on Bloor Street. Apparently Bluescape had NO role in the construction work, delays, etc. Incidentally, I found all of this above info with a quick visit to the Market Wharf website for the pics and an email to my contact at Context. Hope this clears up your confusion.

Octoberpic.jpg

Thanks for the update.

This has to be the slowest build currently going on. They finished all of the foundation work in August for the tower. That was by far and away the hardest part of this job. This site 100 years ago was under water. The soil there is anything but stable - when you dig the hole will fill with water. 5 months later they have done 1.5 floors. Something else is going on here - mind you, it's the same construction company that did the Bloor St Project.

JG

Attachments

• Octoberpic.jpg
    Octoberpic.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 258
It's amusing how factually inaccurate some posts are on here.

Welcome to UT :-> Sometimes it is an honest mistake, sometimes wishful thinking and sometimes fantasy! (That said, there is also a great deal of accurate and thoughtful information here too - you just need to be a bit sceptical at times!)

You can view construction update photos on the market wharf website and as of October (see attached pic from October construction update) there was still excavation going on where the tower will sit so I'm not sure what you are talking about re foundation work being complete in August...especially since this was still a parking lot in the beginning of the Summer.

Thanks for posting. I read "August" and my instincts rang a bell. I knew that didn't sound right.

Post 616 in this thread. August. Boring complete.
Post 619 in this thread. August. Crane is being put up.

Bluescape managed the Bloor Street Project.

Here is a quote confirming this:
http://www.bus-ex.com/node/1685

Bluescape manages the day to day activity on the site.
http://www.bluescape.ca/articles/Market-Wharf.pdf

Context is your developer. They have input into the construction but have hired Bluescape on a fixed rate contract to provide construction management services. Bluescape manages the day to day activity on the site. Context ultimately sign the contracts upon recommendation from Bluescape.

I never said Conext had anything to do with Bloor. I said "construction company". A developer is not a construction company. They assemble land, put together the project, provide financing and sell it. Building it is completely separate. It is very rare that a developer will also do the construction work. That is Bluescape's role here.

Good luck getting accurate information from the same company that sold you a unit in the project. As we know, they always are spot on in predicting move in dates, quality of finishes and other information about a development.

JG

Last edited:
Toronto condo architecture meets Dutch architecture...

...in the best way :D.

Lovely update!

I absolutely adore this building, possibly Clewes' best yet.

Though I agree with you that Phase 1 is looking pretty good it is still not finished and Phase 2 is barely above ground. Let's hold off on the congratulations until we see how the two phases work together and how the finished whole fits into the neighbourhood.

I'm really excited to see this tower. It's something different for Clewes.

The sidewalk canopy hanging hanging from the podium is a classy touch :)

Back