Toronto Market Wharf | 110.33m | 33s | Context Development | a—A

No pics of the brick? :(

Fresh pictures of the brick as of this afternoon. Look pretty real to me! This building is really starting to fill out and change the feeling of that intersection.

mw1.jpg

Market Wharf from roughly the same view as the render in a recent post.

mw2.jpg

Close-up of some brick (well, as "close-up" as my crap camera gets from 1/2 block away.)

Attachments

• mw1.jpg
    mw1.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 379
  • mw2.jpg
    mw2.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 349
Hello everyone, I've been a long-time reader of the site but never posted before.

I walked by this building on the weekend and while the brick colour is great and looks good from a distance, it is still a bit disappointing up close because it is clearly pre-fab and you can see the lines in between sections. I also don't get why the manufacturers of brick cladding don't put something that looks like mortar in between the bricks as you can always spot the pre-fab stuff from the real brick based on this.

I'll still take it however as it's nice to get a bit of brick once in a while and the added density makes the area feel a whole lot more urban.

... while the brick colour is great and looks good from a distance, it is still a bit disappointing up close because it is clearly pre-fab and you can see the lines in between sections. I also don't get why the manufacturers of brick cladding don't put something that looks like mortar in between the bricks as you can always spot the pre-fab stuff from the real brick based on this.

You are mistaken - this is NOT cladding but real bricks - you can actually see them working with them and the huge piles of bricks on site. There are always "lines" or joints between sections of brick - I think to provide some expansion room - these joints are sealed with caulking.

I also don't get why the manufacturers of brick cladding don't put something that looks like mortar in between the bricks as you can always spot the pre-fab stuff from the real brick based on this.

Is it the colour of the mortar that's throwing you off? This stuff has simply been dyed red. It's not an uncommon practice: check out the mortar at the Four Seasons Centre on Queen sometime: it was dyed to match the slate-coloured bricks.

Well I apologize for my improper assessment then. Something about it was a little underwhelming and I guess I just can't put my finger on it. I am still excited for this project though, as the podium is interesting regardless and tower will be cool with its wavy balconies.

Wow.. the podium actually looks better in reality than in the render in my opinion...
Something very rare for buildings in Toronto (as sad as it is)

Finally saw this in person today, and it looks absolutely incredible. My recommendation: approach it from the east, as in head west along the Esplanade and watch it pop into view as you approach Jarvis. Its form, materials and presence just take over in such a great way. I'll try to take some photos this week if the predicted rain holds off. This will definitely be a huge asset to the neighbourhood.

what is with the new stye of vent? jobsite installed awnings will inevitably leak as they cannot install them in the field as well as in the factory.
GOOD LUCK

Wow.. the podium actually looks better in reality than in the render in my opinion...
Something very rare for buildings in Toronto (as sad as it is)

It's all about the materials chosen for the podium. Many developers show a rendering with bright, well saturated colours that suggest an interesting podium material. The end result turns out to be some bland precast cladding with very neutral tones and boring texture. I want to see more brick and stone cladding, which is why I liked the fact that Chaz is supposed to have a limestone base. But even stone cladding can be boring if the developer chooses something very neutral in colour and texture amidst an already minimalist tower clad in glass.

From Monday.

Attachments

• IMG_1000.jpg
    IMG_1000.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_0998.jpg
    IMG_0998.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 280

Back