Toronto Maple Leaf Square | 185.92m | 54s | Lanterra | KPMB

Re: Residences of Maple Leaf Square - Update/Retail

From the Globe today:

"Already, about 50 per cent of the units in the building -- the South Tower -- have been sold. About 85 per cent of those in the North Tower are gone, according to the developers, Lanterra Developments Ltd., Cadillac Fairview Corp. Ltd. and Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Ltd."

The Maple Leafs are currently 11th place in the Eastern Division. Looks like that promotion with the Leafs making the playoffs (don't remember what exactly it is) probably won't be happening!

Just an updated run-down of what is included in the one-million quare foot project:

866 residential units in a 50 and 54 storey glass and precast towers.
20,000 square foot roof top garden and pool for residents
140,000sf sports and entertainment themed hotel with 171 rooms
6,000 sf five star restaurant
20,000 sf high-tech sports bar and restaurant
170,000 sf retail space on three levels including 48,000 sf Longo's grocery store and 9,000 sf Leafs, Raptors and Marlies store
2,000 sf broadcast studio
60,000 sf concert hall with 2,000 seats
50,000 sf office space
6,000 sf day care with 3,000 sf dedicated outdoor space
4 levels of ug parking with 870 spaces

^
Mike in TO, where did you get this info from??

Sounds like this project is turning out to be pretty good!!

2,000 sq ft broadcast studio!!! DAMN!!

60,000 sq ft concert hall with 2,000 seats!! WOW!!!! That sounds crazy!! I wonder what they are going to use this for?

What kind of acts will perform here?? Jazz? Magic Shows? Maybe Conan O'brien will return...

60,000 sq ft concert hall with 2,000 seats!! WOW!!!! That sounds crazy!! I wonder what are they going to use this for??

Concerts?

mike:

do you know anything about underground connections to the proposed one union plaza? and i don't suppose anything about that one has been floating around, has it? i've got a suspicion that'll be the next office tower to break ground in the city, but haven't seen anything concrete to back that hunch up

Mike in TO, where did you get this info from

Reliable publications and subscriptions.

As for the concert hall I don't believe that is 100% confirmed - they seem to be going back and forth on it (I heard it was in... and then out... and now back in). The ACC can accomodate concerts down to the 5,000 scale with their more intimate theatre concert set up, but as soon as you drop below 5,000 the ACC can't really accomodate those crowds. This seems like a natural extention of what MLSE is already doing by tapping into another market with a new event venue.

We could use a venue that size in the city. I know in some of the East Bayfront plans, the Koolhaus/Guvernment looked like the area was going to be used as future residential perhaps we'll need a replacement for a venue that size.

do you know anything about underground connections to the proposed one union plaza? and i don't suppose anything about that one has been floating around, has it? i've got a suspicion that'll be the next office tower to break ground in the city, but haven't seen anything concrete to back that hunch up

I'm not sure about underground connections to new office developments (one would hope there would at least be a breakaway wall for future considerations). The plans I've seen suggest direct covered access to union station and the PATH system via a glass bridge on the 2nd level connected the the ACC. The areas around gates 5 and 6 of the ACC would be expanded (this is a seperate planning application) into the West Plaza - there would be several thousand square feet of new concourse and retail space in the ACC. I'm not sure how the 'private' ACC spaces are intended to be seperated from the more 'public' funtion of privately owned PATH space. An indoor connection is going to be maintained 24/7 meaning there is going to have to be a seperation of spaces within the expanded ACC.

I know in some of the East Bayfront plans, the Koolhaus/Guvernment looked like the area was going to be used as future residential perhaps

I hope that doesn't happen. The warehouse (or koolhuas or whatever name they want to call it now) is my favorite concert venue in the city.

Since people seem to be very interested in this project:

The project is planned to be LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certified development by incorporating features such as: a green roof system, Enwave's Deep Lake Water Distrcit Heating and Cooling system, central lighting on/off switches, energy efficient light bulbs and appliances, dual flush toiletes, well insulated windows (usually this means Low E Argon Gas windows - many builders use this approach despite typical comments that there was a sale for windows at home depot...) independent ventilation systems in each suite as well as individual metering of heating, cooling & hydro - residents will be able to monitor heating/cooling/hydro through the Intelligent Building Technology (IBT) interent system.

The IBT is an internet based system that will allow residents to control and monitor their suite environment (heat/cool, applicances, lights and energy usage) and communicante with management or conciergeto book amenities and services for the suite or remotely from any computer.

Residents can also choose "Radio Frequency I.D. Proximity Locks instead of conventional keys - basically a programable entry card that can be programed for residents or for short term/temporary users such as guests or repair people.

I have no "inside" info, but the publicly available info states that the project will have 170,000 sq. ft. of retail, 50,000 sq. ft. of office space, a daycare centre, and a hotel of about 170 rooms. With all of this it would be a no-brainer to connect it to the nearby ACC by way of PATH. There is an above-grade bridge planned between the podium of the new building and the west side of the ACC, which will be undergoing some expansion. Not sure if this bridge would be a planned PATH connection, or whether there would be something else below grade (the latter more likely, IMO).

As for concert space, this is in line with the "entertainment" side of Maple Leas Sports & Entertainment. Maybe this is to replace the Big Bop when it closes down! :D

I can't believe all the downtown existing and proposed supermarkets. Can downtown Toronto support all those large food stores? I was in Manhattan and Chicago recently and they have almost no supermarkets in the downtown core. Chicago had none south of Lincoln Park, all the way to Chinatown and I only saw one near Washington sq. in all of Manhattan. So how can downtown Toronto (Spadina to Parliament, south of Dupunt) have 10 exhsting markets now, and 5 or 6 more proposed markets to be built. It gives shoppers lots of choice, which is great but can they all survive.
I was in the star of downtown showroom yesterday and the agent told me a supermarket was going into that building's storefront, facing Wellesley st. Isn't that a lot of places to shop for food? (and that's not even counting all the little Rabba's)

there are a tonne of grocery stores in Manhattan. I dont know how you missed them.

Also in chicago. Right near the marina towers. I was in there and managed to drop a whole six pack of beer on the floor. oops.

On the UWS, on Broadway between 77th and 80th there are three nice sized markets in these three blocks alone...Zabar's, Westside Markets, and Fairways. Multiply this by tons of equally dense neighbourhoods and voila!

Back