Toronto Maple Leaf Square | 185.92m | 54s | Lanterra | KPMB

In cities that take urban planning 'seriously' vistas and views may be just as worthy of preservation as buildings might be. It's a trade-off though. Losing such an impressive and iconic view of Toronto for banal 'office-park' architecture is not a crime, but disappointing and unfortunate for the city nonetheless.

Perhaps it's just me but I appreciate the up-close view of the Royal York from Union better. It seems far more overwhelming, and you don't notice the new towers dwarfing it so much.

Methinks it's just you.

Besides, I don't remember anyone ever referring to the TD towers as desecrating the Royal York's skyline backdrop...

In cities that take urban planning 'seriously' vistas and views may be just as worthy of preservation as buildings might be. It's a trade-off though. Losing such an impressive and iconic view of Toronto for banal 'office-park' architecture is not a crime, but disappointing and unfortunate for the city nonetheless.

Another point of comparison: Old City Hall looking up Bay (and what RoCP does to that)

Well I really don't think any of the thousands of towns and cities of Europe that have striven to preserve their history regret doing so.

The preservation of something as broad as 'history' in anonymous 'European towns and cities,' and the preservation of specific sightlines in a modern metropolis are quite different things.

Before we can engage this further, you will have to be more specific.

Another point of comparison: Old City Hall looking up Bay (and what RoCP does to that)

Yes, and in another context there was the brouhaha over Paris' arch rivals, La Defence vs Le Triomphe, to be more precise.

Yes, and in another context there was the brouhaha over Paris' arch rivals, La Defence vs Le Triomphe, to be more precise.

Actually, a better argument might be that La Grande Arche worked to redeem La Defense, i.e. to neutralize the more critical "brouhaha" over the banal office-tower cheesefest that was the pre-Mitterrand, pre-Arche La Defense. (i.e. the sort of thing that--at least before Koolhaas started getting all S, M, L, XL on us--could only have been loved by a 70s prototype of the proverbial virgin-adolescent-male-dork-posting-on-SSC)

The preservation of something as broad as 'history' in anonymous 'European towns and cities,' and the preservation of specific sightlines in a modern metropolis are quite different things.

Before we can engage this further, you will have to be more specific.

I just thought you were implying that cities that don't undergo constant physical change are doomed for some reason.

(as of July/08)

The project is continuing with forming and pouring the 5th and 6th floors on the north side (hotel) and the 3rd and 4th floors on the south side (office). The new permanent Air Canada Center (ACC) ramp was commissioned on June 12, 2008 and is open for traffic. The temporary ramp serving the ACC has served us well but demolition activities commenced on June 13, 2008 as it is no longer required and should be removed by July 11, 2008 allowing us to begin forming the floor slabs left out to accommodate the temporary ramp. Permanent power was activated through the project switchgear on June 12, 2008. Maple Leaf Square is 95% tendered and converted from a GMP to Lump Sum contract in March 2008. Project curtain wall will commence August 1,2008.

Construction on MLS has been pretty fast, especially considering the large podium. I would imagine that the south side will be at the same level as the Gardiner in a few weeks.

Wow the curtain wall will start August 1st! Already!

Given Union Tower's recent progress, I would imagine the glass will soon begin installation around that time too. It'll be nice to see glass going up along both sides of Bremner

Actually, a better argument might be that La Grande Arche worked to redeem La Defense, i.e. to neutralize the more critical "brouhaha" over the banal office-tower cheesefest that was the pre-Mitterrand, pre-Arche La Defense. (i.e. the sort of thing that--at least before Koolhaas started getting all S, M, L, XL on us--could only have been loved by a 70s prototype of the proverbial virgin-adolescent-male-dork-posting-on-SSC)

.......................What?:confused::p

Adma! What are you smoking??
Second thought...Where can I get some?:p

Construction on MLS has been pretty fast, especially considering the large podium. I would imagine that the south side will be at the same level as the Gardiner in a few weeks.

Same level? Isnt it already at a higher level than the Gardiner?

Also, how tall is the podium going to be when completed? Will the rooftop of the podium be taller than the rooftop of the Air Canada Centre?

Back