58     0 
News   Jun 24, 2024
 373     0 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 5.1K     6 

Toronto Map (1928)

E

Ed007Toronto

A map that I have framed and hanging in my condo. From 1928. Interesting take on the waterfront.

TorontoMap1928(1).jpg

TorontoMap1928(2).jpg

I have seen renderings from the same period that showed highrise art deco residental buildings lining Lakeshore Blvd. out on the islands. It probably would have become our most exclusive area. Then again, in the 50's, they could have turned the whole area into Moss Park by the lake. I'm glad they left it the way they did.

Are you sure that map is from 1928? I would guess that it is at least 10 years older than that - note the absence of the Prince Edward Viaduct and the Winchester streetcar route, which started on Winchester then down Parliament, abandoned in 1923 in favour of a direct Parliament route.

Also note that the red line on Danforth says "Civic" below, referring to the Toronto Civic Railway, which predates the 1921 TTC.

And also notice the lack of jog elimination. Jogs on Dundas, College, Beverley, and Elm St are still there. Not to mention the gap in Richmond St. between Spadina and Peter.

Back