Toronto Manulife Centre Podium and Streetscape Renewal | 9.75m | 2s | Manulife Real Estate | MdeAS Architects

CLAD THE UGLY CONCRETE ALREADY!! dark, white, gray metal panels would work anything but the current post war soviet union look. At the very least, change the window glass, play with it with color
If you think this looks like Soviet/Russian architecture, you clearly have never been to Russia.

If you think this looks like Soviet/Russian architecture, you clearly have never been to Russia.
Russia’s brutalist works were far better than this one. Still doesn’t mean it needs to be reclad though.

Last edited:
April 19, 2020

20200419_075202.jpg
20200419_075251.jpg

You're right actually, but i'm from a formerly-communist country in southeast Europe and we had our healthy share of communist grit and imposing grim concrete. This building's purpose could be to take one back to 1984, honing your mental conditioning skills. But I'm assuming there probably are better candidates in the city to serve as a Big Brother relic.

CLAD THE UGLY CONCRETE ALREADY!! dark, white, gray metal panels would work anything but the current post war soviet union look. At the very least, change the window glass, play with it with color

If they touch the manulife building in any way I will personally lead a revolt. They're pushing their luck with this podium as it is.

Podium already ruined it, TBH. It took the primary architectural features (the hard tapered base and fronting plaza) and erased their impact. Plus the terrible selection of materials.

Oh well. We got an Eataly.
The FIRST thing I thought when I saw the design (and I'm no architect) was why aren't they reciprocating the angled base theme by making the podium roof slope downward. If not by the same reverse angle, tapered enough so that you could see from street level the full effect of the hard tapered building base above as you say. OR they could have cut sections in the podium to reveal this feature and make the storefronts angled too.

The first time I passed below this building when I moved to TO, i hated the gray but I admit I was scared to walk near/below it for fear it was going to collapse on me lol. It was a pretty dramatic slope with HEAVY columns that could crush you any moment. I appreciated this feature the most.
image-asset.jpeg

Last edited:
Should also mention they're delivering wine if you live in the building - as I do - and they have two decently priced reds. The LCBO queue can be...tiresome...at times.

I've been using Eataly's grocery delivery service as well, same-day service so far... I'm not lining up even for bresaola :) For drinks I've been ordering directly from Tawse, and from Kinsip in Prince Edward County. They use courier services, not Canada Post.

I've been using Eataly's grocery delivery service as well, same-day service so far... I'm not lining up even for bresaola :) For drinks I've been ordering directly from Tawse, and from Kinsip in Prince Edward County. They use courier services, not Canada Post.
Are they using CanPar? I had some wine delivered from Peller as part of this whole "Ontario free wine delivery" thing Peller, Tawse and others are involved in. Peller gave me no notice the delivery had been sent out. CanPar enter my building (without buzzing me), ignore our building security (who have license to accept packages on tenants behalf), left a notice on my mailbox (and didn't use the building's new package locker system) telling me I need to pick it up (without giving me a location), causing me to spend 45 minutes on hold with them only to find out it was sent to the local Penguin Pickup who proceeded to tell me they were "pretty sure" the package wasn't there as they hunted around looking for it (only to—after 30 minutes of hunting—have the Penguin Pickup guy finally hand me the box with no word of apology.

I'm a little disillusioned with the whole "order wine by mail" situation.

Are they using CanPar? I had some wine delivered from Peller as part of this whole "Ontario free wine delivery" thing Peller, Tawse and others are involved in. Peller gave me no notice the delivery had been sent out. CanPar enter my building (without buzzing me), ignore our building security (who have license to accept packages on tenants behalf), left a notice on my mailbox (and didn't use the building's new package locker system) telling me I need to pick it up (without giving me a location), causing me to spend 45 minutes on hold with them only to find out it was sent to the local Penguin Pickup who proceeded to tell me they were "pretty sure" the package wasn't there as they hunted around looking for it (only to—after 30 minutes of hunting—have the Penguin Pickup guy finally hand me the box with no word of apology.

That's too bad, I've only had amazing experiences. Sounds like an issue with your building's security.

Tawse uses ALM Crown, based in Barrie. I've placed 4 orders so far (I like variety!) and each time they knew to go to the receiving dock in Manulife's basement, where they keep larger items. Then they send me a delivery slip - they haven't computerized yet! Kinsip used a smaller, local delivery service; each time the guy phoned me from the lobby, and I went down to get it.

That's too bad, I've only had amazing experiences. Sounds like an issue with your building's security.
It's not. As I said, the building policy is still that security will accept packages, and have been told to let delivery people go straight up to units if they need to. CanPar told me they won't deliver (even contactless) to apartments. But they will gladly ask to be let in by security implying they are, only to walk to the other end of the building to the mailboxes, leave a useless notice, then leave.

EDIT: I might add that the tracking number on the delivery notice didn't even work, which is why I had to call CanPar and sit on hold with them for 45 minutes. Terrible, terrible company.

Back