Toronto Manulife Centre Podium and Streetscape Renewal | 9.75m | 2s | Manulife Real Estate | MdeAS Architects

You know, it didn’t really occur to me that one of the hardest hit is likely to be Scaccia. Two Italian food places in a building with what, 30 tenants? Eataly’s gonna devour their lunchtime crowd.
It is maybe why they've recently opened a second location in the York Concourse. "Just in case."

About 1/3 of the sidewalk is now open on the west side of Balmuto.
FE3419DB-7708-4E95-93F2-A8E8CFD6135C.jpeg
6F454C6F-C245-425F-BF13-9150F65AACDE.jpeg
9AF22412-0924-4EDF-AA66-9FED6D709498.jpeg
CF24F14F-FE10-42AB-A14B-5850D291CA05.jpeg
801C1BCD-3DB5-4BD2-94E0-AAF851467E25.jpeg

The space occupied previously by Rexall, across from the Bloor St. Market, is now officially for rent, which confirms that neither the market nor the LCBO intend to use it.

The sidewalk is disappointing. I can understand not extending the granite all the way along Balmuto, but then an alternative, would be to use interlocking pavers instead; something nicer that the standard 'white' concrete.

I should add, I was really hoping for at least a marginal narrowing of Balmuto and changing the roadway itself over to interlock as was done on Yorkville Avenue and to the south on St. Nicholas.

Last edited:
The sidewalk is disappointing. I can understand not extending the granite all the way along Balmuto, but then an alternative, as would be to use interlocking pavers instead; something nicer that the standard 'white' concrete.

I should add, I was really hoping for at least a marginal narrowing of Balmuto and changing the roadway itself over to interlock as was done on Yorkville Avenue and to the south on St. Nicholas.

They appear to be installing granite on the sidewalk directly in front of the Balmuto entrance.

The article is preposterous.

This City supports multiple Whole Foods, Pusateris' and McEwans; and also supports a myriad of very high-end restos.

Plucking a fairly meaningless stat out of the air is not useful; the comparison is made between % of income spent on eating out between the GTA and ALL of BC and ALL of Quebec as opposed to Vancouver or Montreal; and there is no mention made
of the difference in median household income.......sigh.

Sloppy journalism and thinking in the extreme.

Also, the writer assumes that Eataly's main target demographic is the city's Italian community and, from there, argues that Montreal should've had Canada's first Eataly because it has more Italians living close to downtown than Toronto.

What the article really strikes me as is an unspoken lament for Montreal, which is being eclipsed relentlessly by Toronto. I think it's especially tough for Montrealers to swallow (pun intended) that Toronto's pulling ahead even in areas like food. And I say this as someone who was born and raised in Montreal and loves that city like crazy.

Last edited:
The article is preposterous.

This City supports multiple Whole Foods, Pusateris' and McEwans; and also supports a myriad of very high-end restos.

Plucking a fairly meaningless stat out of the air is not useful; the comparison is made between % of income spent on eating out between the GTA and ALL of BC and ALL of Quebec as opposed to Vancouver or Montreal; and there is no mention made
of the difference in median household income.......sigh.

Sloppy journalism and thinking in the extreme.
yup. Doesn't take a genius to drive around summerhill, rosedale, forest hill, lawrence park, yorkville, etc. and see the money. This city is ridiculously wealthy - lots of clientele for an Eataly.

yup. Doesn't take a genius to drive around summerhill, rosedale, forest hill, lawrence park, yorkville, etc. and see the money. This city is ridiculously wealthy - lots of clientele for an Eataly.
That's not to mention the draw of "the Mink Mile" and the willingness of tourists to part with their money.

And what about those of us living outside the city who like to visit to see and support the AGO or the ROM, and a host of other venues. I will be going to see what the interest is in Eataly for sure. Might even take an interest in one of those 100 buck Parmesan circles.

Back