Toronto Manulife Centre Podium and Streetscape Renewal | 9.75m | 2s | Manulife Real Estate | MdeAS Architects

Architectural concerns aside, I hope this will liven up Balmuto a bit (though this is improbable). Any semblance of street life disappeared when the two condo towers replaced the movie theatre and restaurants that used to be across the street.

@zang thanks for the pic.
Granted that architecturally speaking, this addition is criminal. However, I’m more concerned with the fact that over the years the owners/developers were able to slowly chip away at the public realm for their own benefit. I’m not against intensification but judging by the old photo the public space has been reduced significantly. What prevents other plazas and POPS to be “intensified” in the future?
There was no POPS here; this building pre-dated that legal structure by decades. Now, POPS are described in and required by the ZBA that allows the development to proceed.

I'm not exactly a huge fan of brutalism, but this horrid addition has destroyed the building's iconic look. It needs to be demolished.

$100,000,000 redevelopment? That has to mean more than the podium redo. If not, 100 million doesn't get you much these days.

From the south along Balmuto.
258023A8-3357-4B24-A948-13892633A96F.jpeg

Attachments

• 258023A8-3357-4B24-A948-13892633A96F.jpeg
    258023A8-3357-4B24-A948-13892633A96F.jpeg
    316.5 KB · Views: 707
oh my god, couldn't they at least have used some stone or any other material than that mint-toothpaste spandrel panelling. I can't imagine them choosing a worse combination even if they tried.

BMO is supposedly opening the new Bloor st facing branch in late November (but I can't really picture how that will happen by the looks of it)
Maybe Birks is leaving? It would seem with this construction, they've lost a lot more long-time lessees than they were probably expecting. So, I wouldn't be surprised.

BMO is supposedly opening the new Bloor st facing branch in late November (but I can't really picture how that will happen by the looks of it)

I think the Balmuto corner was still looking for a tenant. Far more likely than Birks leaving.

Back