Toronto Manulife Centre Podium and Streetscape Renewal | 9.75m | 2s | Manulife Real Estate | MdeAS Architects

Well, you have a mall (a usage rarely known for venturing outside lowest-common denominator aesthetics), owned by a company whose entire business profits only on safe bets and keeping costs as low as possible while ensuring returns. Not exactly a recipe for thinking dramatic, inspiring architecture.
Plus, pretty much every render was set at night, making it quite clear (literally) that the all-glass form mattered markedly less than the tenants contained within.

What did/could you truly expect?

Manulife built the complex in the first place. So clearly they had some interest in design at one point.

Landscaping is getting installed on both Balmuto and Bay Sts.
4E499721-1483-4B4E-9C26-EFCFF603447E.jpeg
3AEAAC4D-6E92-4D82-8D9E-05F4559B25CC.jpeg
D0FA4E06-9161-457B-9628-9CC842E4B7E0.jpeg
99DE294D-360F-4C9D-B5F0-D84289BF02B2.jpeg
5EF44298-2D44-4FE0-B090-E38BF969C8A0.jpeg
E2FFF5BA-3AB3-458F-B2D0-9941AA98A346.jpeg
5B2568CC-E177-4AF8-930C-11DC04FAE4CA.jpeg
DD5362A7-1EAE-451E-AA2B-A22DA9E283F0.jpeg
9785EFC0-AD4F-482C-9973-68E15D5410F4.jpeg

Took a stroll through here the other day and I have two observations:

1: the landscaping work outdoors is really nice. There is a lot of bench seating built into the planters that wasn't there before which is really refreshing.

2: the entrance vestibules are FREEZING. I'm not sure if they just haven't turned on the heating yet, but the double sliding door entrances don't seem to be a great strategy during the cooler months.

I think both the Bay Street and Balmuto Street facades turned out really well, specially the signage. It's Bloor facing addition that looks forced.

Sorry for the off topic question, but has any thought ever been given to designing street lamps that work with those heavily ornamental blue sidewalk lamps? They exist in isolation without acknowledging the existence of the other. It would be great if we could keep the ornamental lamps and design street lamps that work with it OR slightly alter the design altogether to create something more seamless and cohesive.

Sorry for the off topic question, but has any thought ever been given to designing street lamps that work with those heavily ornamental blue sidewalk lamps? They exist in isolation without acknowledging the existence of the other. It would be great if we could keep the ornamental lamps and design street lamps that work with it OR slightly alter the design altogether to create something more seamless and cohesive.

The BIA wanted to replace the high-mast street lighting on Bloor during the big transformation project, and were told 'No' by Hydro.

Hydro have done nothing but stifle good urban design, they even want to rip out heritage decorative lights on Palmerston and in the St. Lawrence area.

(excuse me, they have done one other thing, delay everyone else's construction, constantly, with their inability to adhere to a schedule)

The system (streetights) really needs to be reclaimed by the City.

It was not a good move by David Miller to 'sell' the streetlights to Hydro (A City-owned company), as an accounting trick to balance a budget.

Woah, those globe streetlamps look straight out of the 1980s.

I don't mind the blue-bases of the lights, but the globe-top to me is a bit problematic in that it's a big waster of light energy; sending light up and away, not simply down to the sidewalk area.

Something I wouldn't mind seeing is a fixture more like this; that can be done in a classic Yorkville-Blue.

1603541331753.png

Taken from here: https://www.hapco.com/decorative-poles/

A slightly taller version could front main streets; while more intimate side streets could omit the high-level fixture all together in favour of the shorter design.

Back