Toronto Manulife Centre Podium and Streetscape Renewal | 9.75m | 2s | Manulife Real Estate | MdeAS Architects

Oh...BTW. I have a soft spot for 60's fieldstone bits, and I was wondering if there was any way the planning department could force the architects to incorporate them as some kind of requisite heritage façadism.

Sorry, But you will be able to enjoy cobblestones along Charles St, for quite some time.

nothing personal..
1. Bloor St is bent between Bay & Yonge,
2. Property lines with mandatory setbacks are determining potential expansion, simple thing really, bent ROW=usually bent facade
3. The image above is undersigned "Applicant's proposal", which is simply not true

An interesting question to me... is what sort of extension works here without destroying the original brutalist intent of the building. Obviously we haven't seen an actual rendering, but is it possible that glass (especially a high quality glass like Allied is currently using for the lobby of Queen/Adelaide Centre) is the only way to expand the base without detracting from the Manulife Centre's brutalism?

When we say "we can do better" what is better here? Honest question...

I don't think wrapping it with a sheer wall of glass with refined mullions would work
- because that sort of an addition would be too clean-cut and refined for the brutalist building.
It might work on a smaller scale, but not wrapping the majority of a frontage.

In a word, it would dominate and make the raw concrete look "shabby" or "unfinished".

A faceted glass façade may work.

Here are the renders from the Project Views board.

http://former.vancouver.ca/devapps/555wcordova/documents/projectviews.pdf

16024651550_8ffc7827a9_b.jpg

Anyone hear about the rumour of Eataly possibly coming to Manulife Centre? Could this new addition have something to do with it?

Eataly have been rumoured to go into many locations across the city - this one included

The expansion of the ground floor and second floor was approved at the Committee of Adjustment in July. With north on the right, here's how the new base of the Manulife Centre will be shaped, with the existing structure shown dashed.

ManulifeGrdFlrPlt1280.jpg

Attachments

• ManulifeGrdFlrPlt1280.jpg
    ManulifeGrdFlrPlt1280.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 1,967
One of the tenants at the Manulife Centre has appealed the City's approval of the zoning amendments, keeping the redo in limbo. The OMB hearing will be in January.

probably get kicked out, but just delay the project a bit. I'm interested to see what the planning reasoning behind the appellants is.

From the December Architectural drawings on the city website - mostly triple glazed curtain wall

5zGK9Aw.png

Back