Toronto MANGA on Richmond & Camden | 56.9m | 19s | Manga | Sweeny &Co

Yeah, somebody think of those poor historic buildings!
Screen Shot 2019-07-17 at 10.11.00 AM.png

Yeah I like the red brick facade of that old building and the one opposite it. This area of King West/Ent. District typically has brick podiums to mimic that style.

Yeah I like the red brick facade of that old building and the one opposite it. This area of King West/Ent. District typically has brick podiums to mimic that style.
That's a bit of a broad brush you're painting the area with. The context here is more varied along the Richmond frontage, where the largest neighbour is a relatively modern building with no brick. There is even less brick on the north side of Camden, with the only example close by being the small non-warehouse building at 38 Camden. If the abutting buildings on each side of the Camden site took the modern approach, why shouldn't this project?

The buildings along this stretch of Richmond were of low quality. The details and brick work on the building you mention doesn't really inspire. Brick does not automatically mean good. I think the pop of colour is more welcomed in this block then just trying to add to what is already there (which is not much)

Old article from over a year ago but it does give context to Manga's investment here:

700 rooms for Toronto downtown core

Manga also plans to invest a total of $300 million in three downtown Toronto properties over the next few years.

They plan to build a 230-room hotel and 220 condos, with construction beginning next year, Sukhdev Toor, president and CEO told CLN in a recent interview.

Another site in the entertainment district will be home to a 220 room hotel, with no residential component. The third site will be a new-build 240-room hotel. These hotels will both be upscale, lifestyle brands.

I like that it's getting conserved, it will add a nice red brick facade to the new building. Giving the area some character

Ideally all heritage buildings get protected and incorporated, thats what adds character to the city and make it a destination for tourism and culture
Thats why people love the old heritage architecture in NYC, Chicago, London, Paris, etc cause they're preserved

Back