Mississauga M3 at M City | 260.29m | 77s | Rogers Real Estate | Arcadis

DJI_0575.JPG
DJI_0574.JPG

They made some great progress with excavation...holy cow! It's mind blowing how much has already occured on this site in the lastthree years...and of course, we're only in the earlier stages of this redevelopment. Still...it would've been great if they commited to one commercial tower at the very least...maybe leaving that as a final or later phase.

I'm curious about the vertical black walls being shaped by the digging. Is there some alternative form of shoring from the traditional wood method being used here or what?

why is the soil here so dark?

What you're looking at is the bedrock. The bedrock in this area is shale, which is dense, flaky, and dark. The brown layer on top is the surficial clay soil.

Interesting! Does the rock structure negate the need for shoring?
Aside, it's a wonder that people ever farmed this land!

Interesting! Does the rock structure negate the need for shoring?
Aside, it's a wonder that people ever farmed this land!
The farms in this particular part of Mississauga were never particularly productive because the soil is so thin here, and the groundwater tended to just sit…

…and yes, the shale obviates the need for the shoring to reach any lower.

The fact this wasn't Class A farmland should make UT skyscraperfans really happy!

I wonder how long ago it was when this particular site was actually farmed? I'd think it was well after SQ1 was built as this area was later to be developed.

Last edited:
The fact this wasn't Class A farmland should make UT skyscraperfans really happy!

I wonder how long ago it was when this particular site was actually farmed? I'd think it was well after SQ1 was built as this area was later to be developed.
That depends on your definition of farming. As recent as 5 years ago, some farmer was using this parcel of land to grow animal feed (saw both plowing and harvesting machines working here.)

Back