Toronto Lynn Residences | 22.55m | 9s | DC&F | SRN Architects Inc.

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
More intensification along Danforth. This site is roughly equal between Coxwell and Woodbine.

1821 DANFORTH AVE
Ward 19 - Tor & E.York District

Zoning By- Law Amendment Application to permit the redevelopment of the subject property with a seven (7) storey mixed use building consisting of twenty-five (25) rental dwelling units and ground level commercial space.

Taken on its own, I neither love nor hate it.

However, it has a context on the Danforth side which it ignores. This seems to be a thing w/both low and midrise proposals on Danforth lately.

Also, The retail level just looks wrong, and where is the space to accommodate retail signage? I don't see any room between the top of the commercial level windows and the second (first residential) floor.

I'm pleased to see proposed purpose-built rental here. The density is entirely reasonable.

I don't mind that the set back is only at the 7th floor either.

I just find that visually, the lower/commercial look stops too early; there's a need for space for signage; I'd like to see the retail at the corner have a corner entrance and you need a bit more space between the commercial and residential floors, with some sort of feature that visually indicates the delineation (which can't be just the change in architectural style, particularly if the lower level styling was extended to the 2nd or 3rd floors.

Some minor nuances but floors 2-7 here are generally positive in my books. My main gripe is also with the way that the retail level at grade is handled. The insufficient spacing allocated for proper signage and natural transition towards the residential floors to be a concern for sure. We need new buildings to incorporate more welcoming and accommodating retail units in order to have a chance at being beyond another Dry Cleaner or Nail Salon.

The retail improvement is tangible.

But I'm also liking the pseudo-cornice and distinct colouring of 2-3 in that they show a relationship to the scale of nearby buildings.

It plays nice.

2-3 could be more interesting but the idea, in principle is better.

Removing the balconies from the Danforth frontage (at levels 2-3) is also for the best.

4-7 (hmmm....4-6????) on the other hand is a bit of a snooze.

I'm glad to see it a different colour from 2-3; but I'm not so keen on the different they picked.

I guess that was inevitable. These projects held by Katalyst tend to be zone and flip properties that end up being sold.
It doesn't look like a single one of their projects ever got anywhere close to zoning, and now their website is down. Plus I'm seeing pretty much everything they have for sale. Looks like it may not be the greatest situation over there. Who's the owner, maybe there's some more info about them and what's happening?

Back