Toronto Lower Simcoe Ramp | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto

Oh, and by the way, the Harbour Street section of the ramp is now officially a memory..

Wow. That is ridiculous, I don't even recognize the street anymore.

I think another huge element that needs rework is the Harbour Square retail frontage. The parking garage and the buildings are there to stay, but the ground floor is absolutely bleak.

At least sidewalks, bike lanes, landscaping and new lighting fixtures will help animate the street once it is all done, but yeah, these buildings have a huge opportunity now.

While Atlanta may "suck" (urban form/layout) it is one of the few cities in the States with a real black power class.

And that is saying something.

It's gone.

IMG_0111.JPG
IMG_0116.JPG

Over on the park, all that remains is rubble, twisted metal and iron beams. The ramp deck has been completely demolished.

IMG_0106.JPG
IMG_0108.JPG

And there's this sign:

IMG_0110.JPG

In other words, there's no design for the new park yet. Hopefully Waterfront Toronto engages in a competition to design the park. I don't want the city just plopping a patch of grass and some benches here.

Attachments

• IMG_0111.JPG
    IMG_0111.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 321
  • IMG_0116.JPG
    IMG_0116.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 318
  • IMG_0106.JPG
    IMG_0106.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 288
  • IMG_0108.JPG
    IMG_0108.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 299
  • IMG_0110.JPG
    IMG_0110.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 320
I was surprised to find out that Harbour is going to be converted to a two way street from York to Yonge:

http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2017.PW22.7

- conversion of Harbour Street from one-way eastbound to two-way operations (from York Street to Yonge Street),

This document also reveals that the city plans to remove the Bay Street ramp and shorten the Jarvis ramp as has been rumoured.

- shortening of the Lower Jarvis Street off-ramp from eastbound Gardiner Expressway
- removal of the Bay Street on-ramp

All told, Harbour is going to feel a lot more urban with trees, bike lanes and two way traffic. And once this project is complete, we get to look forward to the removal of yet another elevated Gardiner structure. Taking down the convoluted Jarvis offramp is going to make such a difference to pedestrians walking up and down Bay St and Yonge St.

Hopefully Waterfront Toronto engages in a competition to design the park. I don't want the city just plopping a patch of grass and some benches here.
I do not think WT are involved; there were grass and trees and benches there before - though it was not a 'park'. It was seen as part of the roadway so it may need to be 'reclassified' by the City to parkland.

Do you see any WT signage?

I'm not saying that it is. I'm saying that it should be.

Waterfront Toronto seems to have been neutered after they delivered on Queens Quay. When was the last time we heard about wave decks or bridges?

I'm not saying that it is. I'm saying that it should be.

Waterfront Toronto seems to have been neutered after they delivered on Queens Quay. When was the last time we heard about wave decks or bridges?
I agree WT are more effective than the City (and far better at consulting) and it's rather worrying that the promised public consultation on the "ramp park' has not yet even happened. For WT to get involved it needs the OK from the City, the Province and the Feds - not going to happen for rather small (though important) park projects that really are municipal. Time to ask Councillor McConnell?

The future is looking bright! After this ramp is replaced, the Jarvis off-ramp can be next, combined with reconfiguring many roads in the area east of Yonge and South of the Gardiner.

Attachments

• Habour.pdf
    898.3 KB · Views: 316
The Bay ramp has to be remove before you can do the new Yonge Off Ramp.

Both the Bay Ramp removal as well the York Park have been on WT need list for over a decade.

Can't recall if the westbound single lane will happen with the reconstruction between Bay and York this year or when Harbour is reline at Yonge St.

Drivers will be in for some fun when the eastbound traffic start seeing westbound traffic coming at them since its a one way road today.

I agree WT are more effective than the City (and far better at consulting) and it's rather worrying that the promised public consultation on the "ramp park' has not yet even happened. For WT to get involved it needs the OK from the City, the Province and the Feds - not going to happen for rather small (though important) park projects that really are municipal. Time to ask Councillor McConnell?

It still has to go through WT DRP I think - definitely time to make some noise

AoD

June 03
Enjoy unedited
All the concrete is gone from the steel beams for the York ramp and crews were cutting the cross beams before the main ones can be remove. The concrete ramp itself has been punch 100% to help to break it up when it happens.

Crews where digging Harbour up to allow for a new base support to be lay to support the new concrete road. Still have to remove the curb for the existing Harbour south lane. Crews reopen the close lane around 11 am today.

As it stands, there can be 5 lanes between York and Bay using the Bay ramp area. Since the goal is to only have 3 lanes and a turning lane at Bay, you can use the current left hand lane as a westbound lane with a left hand turning lane at York. The rest of the westbound lane can be done at a future date east of Bay when funds can be found for it.
34270529913_5215e48d2d_b.jpg

35041011406_b436837f63_b.jpg

34694061370_f9ea144f2b_b.jpg

Last edited:

Back