Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

There's a pot of gold at the end of the Cherry St bridge!

723EA7A4-308F-4813-BFAA-7D580124A336.jpeg

Double rainbow this eve ! Shot from my balcony in the Distillery District. The Cherry Street Stormwater Management Facility is just to the left of the rainbows. In the foreground of the top photo is the Cherry St. Interlocking Rail Tower that is currently under restoration.

20220925_174638 (1).jpg

20220925_174639.jpg

Last edited:
By the way, we need to name the three bridges before somebody comes up with stupid names!! . We could go for Moe, Curly & Larry or even Rob, Doug and Mike (I think NOT!) or ?????

I think their official names are "Cherry Street North Bridge", "Cheer Street South Bridge" etc. Very boring names, I know.

By the way, we need to name the three bridges before somebody comes up with stupid names!! . We could go for Moe, Curly & Larry or even Rob, Doug and Mike (I think NOT!) or ?????
Aurora, Bella and Cinderella names for beautiful bridges are much better.

So now we know...

VILLIERS ST AND VILLIERS ISLAND​

Type
Street and Island
Description
Named in honour of Major Villiers Sankey (1854-1905) of The Queen’s Own Rifles of Canada and for many years the City Surveyor of Toronto. The street runs east/west from Cherry St to the Don Roadway, just south of the Don River Keating Channel.
Villiers Island is a new Island under construction in the same area (to mitigate Don River flooding) which will include 22 hectares of land.
https://qormuseum.files.wordpress.com/2019/08/villiers-st-sign.jpg

Last edited:
In the foreground of the top photo is the Cherry St. Interlocking Rail Tower that is currently under restoration
Wonder how much that is costing, and whether any of that could have been rolled into relocation of the Tower, as was the original plan until the plan was messed with, notions of dodging the streetcar around it, but now I believe is now the plan again

Wonder how much that is costing, and whether any of that could have been rolled into relocation of the Tower, as was the original plan until the plan was messed with, notions of dodging the streetcar around it, but now I believe is now the plan again
They are also fixing up the tower just east of Yonge and I think the Cherry one needed to be fixed before it could be moved.

Traffic Notice

Northbound Cherry Street temporarily closed between Commissioners Street and Unwin Avenue: September 30-October 3

Starting Friday, September 30 at 7:00 p.m. until Monday, October 3 at 6:00 a.m., Cherry Street will be restricted to southbound traffic only between Commissioners Street and Unwin Avenue. This work is to connect the new alignment of Cherry Street with the existing alignment at Polson Street.
554344c2-1e0d-6cb8-8faf-e1930a12ac66.png
Above: A map showing the section of Cherry Street that will be closed to northbound traffic and the recommended detour route. An event on Saturday between 4:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. may impact this detour route. View the Michelob Ultra Night Run Road Closure Notice for more detail: Download Link

WHAT TO EXPECT

• Construction work will be continuous starting Friday at 7:00 p.m. until Monday morning at 6:00 a.m. and include excavation, compaction, and road construction.
  • Motorists:
    • Northbound traffic will be detoured along Unwin Avenue to Leslie Street. From there, drivers may choose to go north to Lake Shore Boulevard East or west along Commissioners Street, north on Saulter Street, and west along Villiers Street back to Cherry Street.
    • The closure will be marked with traffic barrels and Paid Duty Officers will direct traffic.
    • Southbound traffic will be permitted, and there will be some lane shifts.
  • Cyclists and Pedestrians:
    • The Martin Goodman Trail will not be affected by construction.
Note: An outside event will further impact traffic in this area on Saturday, October 1, between 4:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. See below for details.
Cherry Street switching to new alignment between Polson Street and Commissioners Street: Starting October 3

To allow for excavation of the new mouth for the Don River, traffic will be re-routed onto the new alignment of Cherry Street between Polson Street and Commissioners Street, starting on Monday, October 3. This is the first phase of opening the new alignment of Cherry Street from Polson Street to Lake Shore Boulevard East. This section of the new alignment includes the Cherry Street South bridge, which crosses the Polson Slip and the location that will soon become the new mouth of the Don River.

b400b1ac-ca5e-6eff-40a8-5d5f038a216f.png
Above: Map showing the new alignment of Cherry Street between Polson and Commissioners Streets.
  • Motorists:
    • Travelling south on Cherry Street, turn right onto an extension of Commissioners Street. Then turn left on to the new alignment of Cherry Street, and continue south over the new Cherry Street South Bridge, towards Polson Street
    • Travelling north, Cherry Street will shift to the west at Polson Street. Turn right on to the new extension of Commissioners Street, and then turn left on to the original alignment of Cherry Street towards Villiers Street.
  • Cyclists and Pedestrians:
    • The Martin Goodman Trail will follow the new alignment with separated, dedicated facilities for cyclists and pedestrians alongside the new sections of Cherry Street and Commissioners Street.

Back