Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Found this pic in one of the waterfront Toronto reports and WOW, finally you can say Toronto is starting to embrace this beatufiul water frontage the city has, after all these wasted years to. And to think we could of had one of the greatest waterfronts in the world with the beatiful lake in front of us.
1661785452534.png

Found this pic in one of the waterfront Toronto reports and WOW, finally you can say Toronto is starting to embrace this beatufiul water frontage the city has, after all these wasted years to. And to think we could of had one of the greatest waterfronts in the world with the beatiful lake in front of us.View attachment 423633
Are they still doing the 2nd yellow bridge here? I didn't think they were or at least wasn't officially approved.

I do agree on how great it looks/will look!

Are they still doing the 2nd yellow bridge here? I didn't think they were or at least wasn't officially approved.

I do agree on how great it looks/will look!
Pretty distant future for a twin I would guess ($$, discussion/planning or not)... would love to see an LRT + bridge but no idea if it still makes sense. 😕

Planning for the Waterfront East LRT suggests the loop will be removed at the Distillery and will be moved to Polson which would require the second bridge to be installed.
Eventually, yes. The plan is certainly to remove the Cherry Loop as it cannot exist if/when the LRT goes under the rail berm and the interim proposal is to have a temporary loop off Commissioners Street (west of Cherry) until the $$ and the demand are there for a loop (and a bridge) @ Polson.

Given that the City never found the money for Eglinton Connects even after almost a decade of lead time I would be skeptical about any plan which imagines that they’d find the money for a new bridge and loop in the Lower Don Lands. What’s been planned is what we will have to live with for a generation.

Given that the City never found the money for Eglinton Connects even after almost a decade of lead time I would be skeptical about any plan which imagines that they’d find the money for a new bridge and loop in the Lower Don Lands. What’s been planned is what we will have to live with for a generation.
You may well be right but I am not sure there is really any demand for an LRT going further south down Cherry now (or for decades). There is a plan to bring the LRT east along Commissioners from Cherry to the Leslie Barns in the next decade so a loop on Commissioners makes sense. Having an LRT line along Commissioners would provide an alternative exist from the Barns, currently they have only one exit/entrance (Queen & Leslie).

Also, logistical question, how would they get the second bridge over/under the first? (given that it would be on the east side)

Also, logistical question, how would they get the second bridge over/under the first? (given that it would be on the east side)
Clearly it would need to arrive on the eastern side, probably by road, or be built on site - as is common.
My thoughts exactly since the LRT Cherry North bridge had to be installed first. But I assume they have an idea, or they would install a similar one to the West and just shift the road etc to the "newer" west one. Coming up the road or through the south shipping channel I guess could work. Same with the second Commissioners one. (Unless that one is a combined bridge, but I thought it was always supposed to be 2 as well.)

i have said this and will say it again but architecture is everything. I hope the architecture will be nice, and that nearby quayside will inspire form and experimentation. Hope waterfrontTO does this right, because it could be the most picturesque public realm but if the towers are ugly it will be ruined imo.

Contract awarded in July:

Let's hope they wait until the new ones are open :->

• Old Cherry Street Bridge Demolition for the Port Lands Flood Protection and Enabling Infrastructure Project – Priestly Demolition Incorporated ($759,720) (Contract awarded by Ellis Don Civil Ltd on behalf of Waterfront Toronto)

Back